Page 3 - Travelore 36 Winter 2016
P. 3

DRVC Travelore - Page 3
The Officer’s Corner
by Rod Kenly, Executive Vice President
As I sit here at my messy desk, Thanksgiving is in the rear view mirror and Christmas is just beyond the curve in the horizon. Therefore, I’m hoping you had a great Thanks- giving, and will have a wonderful Christmas. For me, it’s difficult to realize this year has gone by in a flurry.
We have the upcoming Sedona Verde rally at Camp Verde, AZ. The rally to be held February 26-March 3, 2017. It will feature five nights camping with full hookups in a scenic RV park between Flagstaff and Phoenix. Four hot break- fasts, three catered dinners and one continental breakfast are planned an included in the rally fee. As is typical for our rallies, there will be three days for technical seminars, ladies craft sessions, lifestyle presentations, and an owner roundtable. Rally hosts are Jim & Janet Staehr and Brett & Dianne Wolfe. They report that only a five additional spaces remain open with a total number of sites available at 35. Currently there are 30 coaches registered. Since
our management system can handle it, a waiting list can be started should the need arise. And, as with previous rallies, we’ll be gathering prior to the FMCA convention planned for the Phoenix area at Rawhide Town and Event Center in Chandler, AZ. When I was young was in North- ern Scottsdale.
I’m from Arizona (born and raised, which is rare in my
age group). I can honestly say that the Sedona and Verde Valley region provides an excellent place for the winter.
It encompasses a lot of area – Camp Verde, being the
low spot, with Cottonwood, Prescott, and Sedona being farther into the hills. There’s a lot to do, too. I always rec- ommend going to Montezuma’s Castle – the ancient cliff dwellings Native Americans lived some 700+ years ago. I’m always amazed when I visit there and wonder why they left? Then there is the mining town of Jerome – a good day trip to have lunch on the steep hillside. In it’s mining heyday it had the best hospital in the territory. Then
there is Sedona and it’s famous Oak Creek. Sharon spent many weekends there when she was in high school and I spent some time there when I was in college (at NAU in Flagstaff). Or, you could go do a day trip into Prescott and attend visit of the stores in the square or along Whiskey row – where my father rode a horse into the palace bar when I was a youngster – I believe he had a few too many adult beverages.
This would be a good time to check your calendars and plan to attend our summer rally to be held at Pla-Mor Campground at Bremen, IN. Yes, that is in some of the Amish country and nearby Elkhart, the RV capital of the world. Rally dates are July 2-7, 2017. Rally details will soon be posted on the DRVC website. I’m hoping to see everyone at this summer rally.
The Nominating Committee reports they are still seek-
ing applications for the office of Chapter President. They also report that Janet Staehr has expressed willingness to serve as VP Rally Coordinator. She has been appointed to serve in that office as Acting VP Rally Coordinator pending the election.
It is not to soon to help us in searching for candidates to fill offices that will be elected for 2017. Especially help in seeking a replacement for Byron Songer who has told me he’ll not be available for reelection as VP of Publications.
There is an article concerning RVillage which is now accessible via a smartphone app. I plan to use it once I get through the Samsung Galazy Note 7 issue.
Hoping to see you soon,
– Rod
SEDONA VERDE VALLEY RALLY Distant Drums RV Resort - Camp Verde, Arizona
FEB 26 – MAR 3, 2017

1   2   3   4   5