Author Topic: 2001 3126B on FL Chassis Newmar wi overheating problem  (Read 229 times)

Offline tednruthy

2001 3126B on FL Chassis Newmar wi overheating problem
« on: June 22, 2010, 12:19:00 AM »
Yahoo Message Number: 12792
I have a 2001 DSPD with a cat 3126B on a FL chassis. I have owned it since 2004. It has always run at a higher water temp than I believed it should when outside temps are over 70 degrees or if subject to heavy climbs. I have had a SilverLeaf VMSpec installed to monitor the engine almost since I bought the coach. It shows the temp to the exact degree all the time. I had it looked at a couple times with nothing found. I did the usual clean the side radiator with no help. About 6 weeks ago I took it in and left it with a CAT dealer to find the problem. I told him I wasn't in a hurry. First he saw no history if errors, None were in the engine logs. I have had many occasions when I had the temp buzzer come on and even the check engine light when the temp got to 224 degrees as shown by the SilverLeaf VMSpec. The service manager finally at my direction took the coach out to a local hill and experienced the problem first hand. He then tested the fan speed and said it was OK as was the water pump pressure. They wanted to pull the radiator and send it in for testing. The results were that even after a cleaning it only passed 80% of the water it should. I opted for a new all metal radiator at about 140% the capacity of the stock one. They put this in and tested again. Still overheats. They said they discovered that the fan was actually not going up to full speed under load when so tested. The tried to get the 'gold hydraulic valve assembly', the one with the 2 wires on it by the lower rear corner inside the hood. They said that is adjustable for flow and someone had cranked the adjustment all the way to max. It was not allowing the proper flow even thought the hydraulic pressure was about 2,600PSI and OK. They took the valve apart and found the ports clogged by pieces of the 'H rings' inside. Since they couldn't get a new part quick they replaced the H rings with O rings and cleaned out the unit. They put things back together and tested and had the proper fan speed and the high temp on climbs was fixed on their test hill. They are now trying to get the valve or a rebuild kit for it from Newmar via Freightliner as they say it is a Newmar proprietary part.

QUESTION: Has anyone else had a problem with this valve. It controls the hydraulics that drive the side radiator fan speed.

I have been overall satisfied with this shop and the manager told me he would work with me on the bill since I believe he knows he mis-diagnosed the problem.

Offline Jerry Parr

« Reply #1 on: June 21, 2010, 08:41:51 PM »
Yahoo Message Number: 12793
No, mine has been fine. Has never overheated and have been in mountains in the hot summer. Side radiator stays clean. 55,000 miles. FL chassis.

Jerry Parr
Full-time
05 Mandalay 40B #1588
Cat C7 CR-V Brake Buddy
Phoenix, AZ
602-321-8141
Full-Timer
Phoenix, AZ
2005 Mandalay 40B
C7,  04 CR-V,  Brake Buddy
602-321-8141

Offline Tom Crowley

« Reply #2 on: June 21, 2010, 08:57:06 PM »
Yahoo Message Number: 12794
I had similar problems with my 2001 FL side radiator chassis. Try disconnecting the 2 wire connector tied to the rear rail that goes to the hydraulic valve. If it's the electronic module every thing should work fine. If not then it's the valve ( a FL part) or something more serious in the cooling system. Have they changed the thermostats? That's a common problem on FLs. We replaced the electronic module and the valve on 2 separate occasions.

Cheers,
Tom Crowley

Offline David Deming

« Reply #3 on: June 22, 2010, 10:33:03 AM »
Yahoo Message Number: 12795
I helped a friend repair a country coach with a fan control problem it was the controller which was made by Sauer-Danfoss www.sauer-danfoss.com/Applications/FanDriveSystems/Schematic/index.htm there web site has several .pdf files that describe how it works and how to check to make sure it works correctly. This one defaults to high speed all the time which was his problem. We ended up replacing the hydraulic part and the electronic part as there was a change to the actuator motor and no old parts were available parts were $700.00 plus shipping.

Dave
I have a 2001 DSPD with a cat 3126B on a FL chassis. I have owned it since 2004. It has always run at a higher water temp than I believed it should when outside temps are over 70 degrees or if subject to heavy climbs. I have had a SilverLeaf VMSpec installed to monitor the engine almost since I bought the coach. It shows the temp to the exact degree all the time. I had it looked at a couple times with nothing found. I did the usual clean the side radiator with no help. About 6 weeks ago I took it in and left it with a CAT dealer to find the problem. I told him I wasn't in a hurry. First he saw no history if errors, None were in the engine logs. I have had many occasions when I had the temp buzzer come on and even the check engine light when the temp got to 224 degrees as shown by the SilverLeaf VMSpec. The service manager finally at my direction took the coach out to a local hill and experienced the problem first hand. He then tested the fan speed and said it was OK as was the water pump pressure. They wanted to pull the radiator and send it in for testing. The results were that even after a cleaning it only passed 80% of the water it should. I opted for a new all metal radiator at about 140% the capacity of the stock one. They put this in and tested again. Still overheats. They said they discovered that the fan was actually not going up to full speed under load when so tested. The tried to get the 'gold hydraulic valve assembly', the one with the 2 wires on it by the lower rear corner inside the hood. They said that is adjustable for flow and someone had cranked the adjustment all the way to max. It was not allowing the proper flow even thought the hydraulic pressure was about 2,600PSI and OK. They took the valve apart and found the ports clogged by pieces of the 'H rings' inside. Since they couldn't get a new part quick they replaced the H rings with O rings and cleaned out the unit. They put things back together and tested and had the proper fan speed and the high temp on climbs was fixed on their test hill. They are now trying to get the valve or a rebuild kit for it from Newmar via Freightliner as they say it is a Newmar proprietary part.
QUESTION: Has anyone else had a problem with this valve. It controls the hydraulics that drive the side radiator fan speed.

I have been overall satisfied with this shop and the manager told me he would work with me on the bill since I believe he knows he mis-diagnosed the problem.

Offline tednruthy

« Reply #4 on: June 23, 2010, 12:26:16 AM »
Yahoo Message Number: 12799
Tom, Yes they replaced the thermostats early on. I have had a switch in the circuit to the valve so I could simulate unplugging the control plug to force the highest fan speed for over a year. I did this to know that the control was telling the fan to drive at max speed. Still overheated.

I had similar problems with my 2001 FL side radiator chassis. Try disconnecting the 2 wire connector tied to the rear rail that goes to the hydraulic valve. If it's the electronic module every thing should work fine. If not then it's the valve ( a FL part) or something more serious in the cooling system. Have they changed the thermostats? That's a common problem on FLs. We replaced the electronic module and the valve on 2 separate occasions.

Cheers,
Tom Crowley

Offline tednruthy

« Reply #5 on: June 23, 2010, 12:42:11 AM »
Yahoo Message Number: 12800
Dave, The valve body my CAT dealer is looking for is made by Vicker. The rings and/or seals had come apart and plugged the valve preventing adequate flow according to the mechanic the dis-assembled and cleaned the valve. He cleaned it out and re-assembled with similar parts and tested his fix but feels it may not hold up and wants to put correct rings and seals in it or replace the valve body/ Vickers has a 4-5 week lead time to deliver the valve body.

I helped a friend repair a country coach with a fan control problem it was the controller which was made by Sauer-Danfoss www.sauer-danfoss.com/Applications/FanDriveSystems/Schematic/index.htm there web site has several .pdf files that describe how it works and how to check to make sure it works correctly. This one defaults to high speed all the time which was his problem. We ended up replacing the hydraulic part and the electronic part as there was a change to the actuator motor and no old parts were available parts were $700.00 plus shipping.
Dave

Offline hwrd_chs

« Reply #6 on: June 23, 2010, 03:34:00 PM »
Yahoo Message Number: 12810
I have owned a 3126B in a 1996 Safari since new. There has been an over heating problem since day one. When the light and buzzer come on I slow down and downshift. Light and buzzer go out.

CAT has dis-allowed my problem because no overheat faults showed up in the computer. Duh, I slowed down and down shifted.

Moral: Run that mommy just as if there were no warning, until it hurts. That is of course, only if you are still under warranty.

BTW, I installed a, "Desert Super Cooler". It helps but I still have to slow and downshift.

Motor easy, Howard Chase

Offline Brett Wolfe

• Global Moderator
« Reply #7 on: June 23, 2010, 10:40:54 PM »
Yahoo Message Number: 12811
Are you on a Freightliner or Magnum chassis?

How frequently do you clean the front of the CAC?

How old are the thermostats?
Are the proper air "skirts"/bellows in place such that air ONLY flows from the front (shroud) and out the back?

There has to be some "fixable" issue here, as few with Safari's have overheating complaints if their cooling system is kept clean and serviced.

Brett