Author Topic: How to Identify New and Unread Posts Since Last Visit  (Read 4250 times)

Offline Ken Carpenter

• Ken Carpenter, Jr.
  • Administrator
  • "Courage is a kind of salvaton". Plato
How to Identify New and Unread Posts Since Last Visit
« on: January 15, 2012, 07:00:58 PM »
From what I understand some who log on (rather than link for a notification email) are having difficulty identifying new discussion topics.

For those of us that prefer to go to the site there are a number of ways to identify new posts.  The first is on the home page (welcome screen) www.catrvclub.org/index.php.  Your ID panel will look something like this one (Sorry, but you are not allowed to access the gallery)

Note the line under the user name that reads "Recent Unread Topics".  When you click on that line you will get a list of all unread topics you will see a display that looks somewhat like the one below.  Then just pick the topics of interest by clicking on your choice; You can return to this list using the back arrow on your browser. (Sorry, but you are not allowed to access the gallery)

The second way to quickly locate unread posts is on the lower left hand corner of the Forum pagehttp://www.catrvclub.org/forum/index.php?action=forum.  It looks like this (Sorry, but you are not allowed to access the gallery)
  This one is a little different in that it lists the recent posts as well as the last post.

Also, when you are on the Forum page  you see a display listing all of the various discussion boards.  Frequent visitors can look at the folders on the left hand column and quickly visualize any new posts as only those with new topics will be highlighted. The use of highlighted folders is also used on the mobile version to aid users in identifying activity.(Sorry, but you are not allowed to access the gallery)

« Last Edit: January 16, 2012, 03:33:14 AM by Ken Carpenter »
2005 Winnebago Journey 39K, C7 350HP
Jeep Grand Cherokee, Airforce One
Diesel RV Club Officer & Board Member

Offline kenbuck2

Re: How to Identify New and Unread Posts Since Last Visit
« Reply #1 on: January 15, 2012, 07:19:55 PM »
Hmmm.... I have my "favorites" button set to go to the forum page and I have the choices:

Hello kenbuck2
Show unread posts since last visit.
Show new replies to your posts.
January 15, 2012, 10:13:57 PM

in the upper left hand corner. It also takes me automatically to a page where all the new posts since I logged in last are listed. I just click on the NEW highlighed box and it takes me to the new comment. It seems a lot easier than any of the three KC just posted. I presumed everyone did it like that.

Ken
Ken Buck
2007 Beaver, C-9 Cat, Allison 3000MH

Offline SC

• Administrator
Re: How to Identify New and Unread Posts Since Last Visit
« Reply #2 on: January 15, 2012, 07:29:59 PM »
Ken,

Great post ... I'd been meaning to put something together along these lines  :)

The "Recent Unread Topic" in the profile block is the same as the "Show unread posts since last visit." under your name under the CatRVClub Logo as well.

Clicking on those links will show you what has happened since you last visited, really a great way to get the summary.

In the list that appears there are two features I want everyone to know about ... clicking on that "new" icon will take you to the first unread message in that post, a quick way to go to where you left off :) .. clicking on the topic subject takes you to the last post.

If there were no new messages since you last visited, try clicking on the "show all unread posts" (its in the title bar that will say no new messages since your last visit click here ...) that will show you anything you have never read (not just whats new since you were last on) .... The system keeps two lists for every user, what they have read and whats new since they last visited.