Author Topic: CAT ID - a Silverleaf type unit?  (Read 6685 times)

Offline leezaborowski

CAT ID - a Silverleaf type unit?
« on: January 02, 2012, 10:19:00 AM »
Folks, a friend has what he calls a CAT ID unit in his 2000 CC Magna. I have not seen it but it but apparently functions like a SilverLeaf . . . giving engine information readouts like temperatures, pressures, etc. Anyway the unit has stopped working . . . screen gone blank.

Anyone knowledge and experience, fixes for this kind of unit?

Lee Z
« Last Edit: January 02, 2012, 11:29:40 AM by Brett Wolfe »
Lee Zaborowski
2007 Country Coach Intrigue
C-13

Offline gonesouth

Re: CAT ID - a Silverleaf type unit?
« Reply #1 on: January 07, 2012, 04:21:30 PM »
My 98 Beaver Marquis came with a MAG ID unit, short for "Magnum Intelligent Drive" which was made by the Beaver Division that was later spun off to become Silverleaf.......an aluminium box about 4" square by 14" long with a digital readout on the front. This was typically mounted so that the "screen" border pressed against the edge of a dash cutout.

When mine died, Silverleaf told me that there were two possibilities - one was that the pressure from the edge of the cutout was impinging on the switches built into the edge of the screen, and holding up the booting process, and the second was that it had failed and couldn't be fixed as they had no parts or schematics. If unmounting the unit didn't work, the only alternative is replacement.

The main alternative they offered was a program called vmsPC which runs on a PC or Netbook, (free download) and connects via USB to the old harness through a connection harness they sell for about $425. 

Assuming it's a similar unit, the next step is to call Silverleaf.

« Last Edit: January 07, 2012, 04:57:17 PM by Brett Wolfe »

Offline Jim Godward

« Reply #2 on: January 07, 2012, 04:50:28 PM »
VMSpcs a cable with a converter box in it that hooks up to the vehicle test plug and a laptop computer or ??? and uses the computer to display the data.  There is another type which is a stand alone box with a display.  Mine is a VMS 200 and is not the current version although it does cover the engine information the same as the newer ones. 

The newer ones have the capability of having the tire pressure information displayed and I believe outside temperature.  There are other features as well but I have not kept up with them as if I do, I will want the newer toys.  The newer boxes start about $1250 and can go all the way to a new dash for $10,000 or more.  The last one is like the glass cockpits in the new fighter and commercial planes.  I believe Garmine makes something similar for private airplanes.  Look at the Silver Leaf web site.
« Last Edit: January 07, 2012, 04:58:06 PM by Brett Wolfe »
Jim
James Godward
Belgrade,MT
AC7PO
2001 Dutch Star DP

Offline leezaborowski

« Reply #3 on: January 08, 2012, 01:13:05 PM »
Folks, it has since been determined that the CAT ID unit is indeed a Caterpillar product. The coach owner was able to buy a replacement at Fabick CAT in Springfield, MO (getting the CAT RV Club 10% discount!) and install it himself . . . pretty much a plug and play swap.

The SilverLeaf is a totally different product.

Lee
Lee Zaborowski
2007 Country Coach Intrigue
C-13

Offline gturnquist

« Reply #4 on: May 18, 2012, 08:13:59 AM »
Another fine option is ScanGaugeD, by LinearLOGIC, Mesa, Arizona; these are stand alone units that can be easily daisy chained together to access about as much information that one would ever need. Examples: monitor operating engine conditions and data, monitor engine performance, track trip related data...MPG and much more, and lastly trouble shoot, retrieve trouble light codes, reset warning lights and more.  I have one plugged in at the engine location and one near the driver's steering wheel to compare any differences at both connection plug locations. If the engine values are the same I disconnect the one at the engine location and daisy chain it to the other unit. I will eventually get a SilverLeaf module to use with a laptop computer; these are fine investments and much more accurate than the analog gauges that come with the chassis! Can be purchased from Camping World or direct from LinearLOGIC, hope this helps in your needs.
« Last Edit: May 18, 2012, 08:51:17 AM by Brett Wolfe »

Offline Larry Poole

« Reply #5 on: July 17, 2012, 08:05:03 AM »
I have vmsPC and it works great. I've heard of the CAT ID product, does anyone have a PN or the exact name of the device?

Larry
2001 DSDP, Freightliner XC, 3126B, Allison 6sp.