Author Topic: Cat C7 oil  (Read 4111 times)

Offline Bwilson

Cat C7 oil
« on: February 25, 2013, 10:21:26 AM »
I had my new to me 2006 Discovery with a Cat C7 into Freightline for complete service so I could start off like new. When I got home  and looking at the bill  it had " 40   0010/BULK15W40     Bulk Oil $3.15     $126"   It looks to me like they put 40 qts of oil in my C7 which takes 19. I checked the dipstick and it was way over the full mark and it had not been calibrated.  I'm going back to Freightliner tomorrow and question this.  I have to drive 40 miles to get there and will this hurt the engine if it is overfull?  I had everything done Oil/ Trans fluids and Filter changed, fuel filters changed and air dryer serviced. I'm worried now anything else I should check on?  This is all new to me. What do you think?

Offline Brett Wolfe

• Global Moderator
Re: Cat C7 oil
« Reply #1 on: February 25, 2013, 11:21:19 AM »
If they actually put in 40 quarts instead of 19, were it mine, I would not drive it until it was drained and filled with the proper amount. 

A couple of quarts over may do no harm, but 40 could blow seals, aerate the oil, etc.

Offline Bwilson

« Reply #2 on: February 25, 2013, 01:07:39 PM »
Thats what I was thinking. I have already driven it 40 miles getting it home so Im going to drive the car over and see what they say and go from there.

Offline Brett Wolfe

• Global Moderator
« Reply #3 on: February 25, 2013, 03:10:01 PM »
Have them GIVE you 19 qts (actually just get it in gallons--5).

You do not need to change the filter again.  So subtract 2 quarts that will be in the filter.  So you need to drain the oil-- use a Rubbermade tub that you line with two layers of black trash sacks so you don't get your container dirty.

Drain, add 17 qts oil.

If you can't do this, have them pay for a mobile tech to come do it.

Brett

Offline wilddcat3

« Reply #4 on: February 25, 2013, 04:36:24 PM »
Thanks Brett, Can you even get 40 qts in the engine?

Offline Brett Wolfe

• Global Moderator
« Reply #5 on: February 25, 2013, 06:07:31 PM »
Perhaps not in the crankcase, but sure, the engine is 3' tall! 

And, if you put enough in, you can just look in the valve cover to check the level.

Offline Bwilson

« Reply #6 on: February 26, 2013, 04:11:28 PM »
Just got back from Freightliner and they said they didnt put 40 Qts in but did charge me for that amount and to bring it back and they would take out the extra oil they didnt put in.  I talked to a Cat. dealer and they said I could use a oil sampler pump through the dipstick tube and pump some out, since it was showing  1 1/2 inches abopve the full mark just to be safe when I drive it o back over.

Offline Brett Wolfe

• Global Moderator
« Reply #7 on: February 26, 2013, 07:28:56 PM »
Unless you drain and put in a KNOWN quantity of oil, you/they are just guessing.