Author Topic: Cat C-7 front end maintenance  (Read 3014 times)

Offline Allen

Cat C-7 front end maintenance
« on: March 05, 2013, 09:27:55 PM »
Brett - I think I remember you writing that on your Cat coach every three years you change the belts, idler/tension pulleys, and anything else that may need it.
I'm considering having the fan hub bearing replaced on my 2004 C-7 at 59,000 miles before it goes out on the road and leaves us stranded.   Have you found the idler/tension pulleys to be really in need of replacing when you did it or are those replacements just for a preventative procedure?  I imagine it will be productive to have them change the belts, thermostats, and Cat fuel filter while they hanging over the engine from the bedroom.   And after 9 years it might be wise to have the plastic radiator pressurized overflow tank replaced, I guess.
How expensive are the idler/tension pulleys, if you might remember?   They were only about $15@ for my Jeep Wrangler when they went out at 62,000 miles but probably a lot smaller than the Cat.   I think I will probably have the Tulsa Freightliner Oasis shop do the work since they are both Cat & FL so I would imagine any parts are going to be very very expensive besides the $125/hour labor
The tech at Cat Hot Line said not to worry about the fan hub bearing, if it's not broke don't fix it.   But the chore of reaching it just for an examination by removing the air mattress, platform, and getting under the bed to remove the two plates can be a several hour job.   And even at that I read one Poster had his go out 500 miles down the road after all services were performed at Gaffney.  But the thought of being stranded on the side of the road in the middle of nowhere out West just is leaving me very uneasy.   Course having a mechanic working in my bedroom for a couple of days doesn't exactly thrill me either.
Appreciate your thoughts, comments, and suggestions.
Thanks.           Allen

Offline Brett Wolfe

• Global Moderator
Re: Cat C-7 front end maintenance
« Reply #1 on: March 06, 2013, 05:42:52 AM »
Allen,

The serpentine belt tensioners DO wear out-- both bearings and tensioner/dampener part.  Take a minute and look at this Gates Corp video: http://www.gates.com/tensioner/tensioner_video.html

As far as replacing the fan hub bearings, water pump belt tensioner bearings, etc-- yes were it my 9 year old coach, I would do it while they are in there.  But that is more a philosophical question than a mechanical one.

Offline Allen

« Reply #2 on: March 06, 2013, 06:27:39 PM »
Thanks for that Brett.   I did forget to mention that the belts and thermostats were changed 4 years ago and the belts weren't too bad but one of the thermostats had frozen partly open and not completely closed which I attributed somewhat to my heating problem.
Just kind of wanted some expert opinion on whether or not I was wasting money by doing all the front end replacements.   Besides making me just a little bit more comfortable while on the road cause I'm like everyone else, breaking down on the road is the pits;.

Offline Phil Gates

« Reply #3 on: October 22, 2017, 08:49:24 AM »
Brett:

The URL that you posted, way back when, http://www.gates.com/tensioner/tensioner_video.html, no longer works.

This one,https://www.youtube.com/user/GatesAutoAftermarket has a series of videos which are intended to train mechanics, but which explain the issues very well.

Phil
« Last Edit: October 22, 2017, 10:31:49 AM by Brett Wolfe »

Offline Brett Wolfe

• Global Moderator
« Reply #4 on: October 22, 2017, 10:28:33 AM »
Thanks, Phil.

And welcome to the Diesel RV Club.

Thanks to the link-- quite a few good informative videos.

I just went back and locate the updated direct link to the automatic belt tension check video:  https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uTLV5IU_IMM