Author Topic: Safari Sangeti Cat 3126 no start  (Read 8406 times)

Offline rodknu

Safari Sangeti Cat 3126 no start
« on: November 20, 2013, 10:03:11 AM »
My neighbor here in the park has a 98 Safari with a Cat 3126 that he cannot get power to start it….. he has had three mechanics look at it and I have tried to help but to no avail. The symptoms are (that we know)… when key is turned on he has no transmission lights, no battery boost and no back-up camera. There is power from the key to the ignition solenoid and it clicks. But nothing happens when he turns the key to the start position and he cannot connect the batteries to the house batteries with the battery boost.

This morning when I was helping him, I noted the chassis batteries were down to 11.89v and in his coach the shore power nor the generator are designed to charge them. I have a charger on them right now to see if that will make any difference. The mechanics have seemingly checked all his circuits, relays, breakers, fuses but not found anything out of the ordinary. His system (I don't know what it is called) that cycles through all his checks like a Silverleaf is cycling OK.

Any ideas???
Thanks,
Rod
rod
2001 DSDP, 300 CAT, FL

Online Brett Wolfe

• Global Moderator
Re: Safari Sangeti Cat 3126 no start
« Reply #1 on: November 20, 2013, 10:55:01 AM »
Rod,

Yes, as you have discovered, on that coach, the chassis batteries are not charged by the inverter/charger-- a common issue.

I use a BatteryMINDer on our Safari to charge the chassis batteries.

With 11.89 VDC with no load (and, therefore lower when he tries to start), let us know what happens when the chassis battery is fully charged.

The battery combine solenoid is likely on the forward edge of the engine room (under bed) on the passenger's side.  You could remove the large wire from one lug and careful not to touch any metal/ground, put that wire on the other terminal.  All you have done is bypass the battery combine solenoid.

But, unless he is in a hurry, it is easier on the batteries to slow charge them rather than slamming the chassis batteries with high amps drawn rapidly from the house bank.

Brett

Offline rodknu

« Reply #2 on: November 21, 2013, 10:16:08 PM »
Thanks Brett for your input. He was not in a hurry so we slow charged the Chassis batteries for 36 hours but that did not change the no start problem. A little more info: I kept a voltmeter on the batteries when he turned the key on and they drop a half volt (probably preheat?). But when he turns the key to the start position, no voltage change and nothing happens… starter is not energized, thus engine does not crank. Again, he has no lights at all on the transmission nor does he have power to the back up camera. We are wondering….. fues? relay? ignition key switch? (oh, I just remembered we did not try the battery boost because we did not need it…). Since the mechanic spent 3 hours checking circuits, wiring, solenoids, etc.finding no problems, we are now at a total loss of ideas.
Rod
rod
2001 DSDP, 300 CAT, FL

Online Brett Wolfe

• Global Moderator
« Reply #3 on: November 22, 2013, 05:46:13 AM »
Rod,

Check if other items that normally work only with the ignition on still work. The dash HVAC fan is an easy one to check.

If not, check the ignition solenoid.  The ignition switch only sends a signal to the ignition solenoid.  The solenoid is what transfers power from the chassis battery to those circuits that are hot when the ignition is on.

Brett

Offline rodknu

« Reply #4 on: November 22, 2013, 10:34:51 AM »
Brett,
The fans on the dash and the heater/AC fan works. A had checked the ignition solenoid earlier and the small post shows juice when the key is turned on….
rod
2001 DSDP, 300 CAT, FL

Online Brett Wolfe

• Global Moderator
« Reply #5 on: November 22, 2013, 10:51:24 AM »
Rod,

Sorry I don't have wiring diagrams on that coach.  Could probably get them from Monaco.

But, if the ignition solenoid is good (power at both large lugs when ignition turned on-- as indicated by dash HVAC fan working), The next thing to check is the TWO fuses for the Allison ECM.  Probably in fuse box in the front (nose) or perhaps driver's side forward most compartment.

If the two fuses are good, verify 12 VDC at the Allison ECM.

Brett

Offline lewengel

« Reply #6 on: November 22, 2013, 04:29:52 PM »
On my 3126 I had a similar problem. I finally found the problem in the start solenoid, it is located on the frame on the passenger side of the engine compartment and looks like a old ford starter solenoid. The problem was the big red wire had corrosion at the connector to the stud interface. I had voltage when I put the meter on the connector but lost it when I touched the stud. Cleaned all the contacts and it is fixed. In my case I could here the solenoid click but no power was going to the starter. Another way to check the solenoid and starter is to jumper/short the hot side terminal to the small terminal for a second and see if the engine cranks.     

Online Brett Wolfe

• Global Moderator
« Reply #7 on: November 22, 2013, 04:34:05 PM »
Thanks, Lew.

Did your symptoms also include the Allison shift pad not illuminating?

Wish we had a schematic for this coach.

Offline lewengel

« Reply #8 on: November 22, 2013, 04:42:34 PM »
I think my shift pad was working/lit. I did get a good schematic for my 1998 XC from Freightliner and it did show several wires going to the transmission and back. I called the hot line and they emailed me about 8 pages.

Offline ziggyh

« Reply #9 on: November 28, 2013, 06:30:56 PM »
Had helped a couple in a campground with similar symptom, found no signal in crank position at starter relay, released an applied park brake and pushed n on shifter pad, coach started. After a few weeks got email from couple and they had park switch replaced and had no further problems.

I have a different coach an looked at the wiring diagram there several relays in the start circuit, neutral relay, start lockout,start relay that controls the larger frame mounted starter relay, there are also several fuses in a bushman box in these circuits.

Without seeing a wiring digram I would check all the fuses, disengage and reapply park brake and neutral button on shifter.

If you have a diagram and want some help in what to check for your welcome to pm or email me the diagram and I could list the steps I would take to try and pinpoint your problem.

« Last Edit: November 29, 2013, 07:55:30 AM by ziggyh »
ZiggyH

2007 Revolution LE
C9

Offline rodknu

Re: Safari Sangeti Cat 3126 no start SOLVED
« Reply #10 on: December 01, 2013, 07:42:51 PM »
Brett and others who replied….
The problem was a blown fuse in a wire a couple inches from the positive terminal on the chassis battery… as soon as he replaced the fuse he tried the key and all was normal with the Allison pad and all else worked fine and it started fine. I did not go over and trace the wire but my guess is it was power to the Allison…..
Rod
rod
2001 DSDP, 300 CAT, FL