Author Topic: Testing Relays and Fuses  (Read 10797 times)

Offline Peoria Ron

Testing Relays and Fuses
« on: February 02, 2014, 08:35:49 AM »
In replacing my 2 chassis batteries on a 1999 Safari Zanzibar 3126B Cat with Cummings I crossed cables, now I am unable to start unit. LED lights on transmission do not light.  Starter will not crank.  How do I test relays and fuses?
Peoria Ron
Peoria, IL
1999 Safari Zanzibar
Cat 3126B

Offline Brett Wolfe

• Global Moderator
Re: Testing Relays and Fuses
« Reply #1 on: February 02, 2014, 08:43:49 AM »
Peoria Ron,

Welcome to the Diesel RV Club.

First, make sure they are properly connected now (ALL the wires).

To trace it down from there, start at the chassis batteries with a digital voltmeter (starting under $20 at box stores, radio shack, etc).

Check between positive wire and any piece of clean metal on the coach.

In your fuse boxes (12 VDC) check both sides of the fuses (positive) and ground.  Some of the fuses under the front will only be hot when the ignition is on.

Offline antiqueclockservice

« Reply #2 on: February 03, 2014, 07:10:37 AM »
Hi Ron,

What do you mean by crossed cables?   Both batteries are wired together positive to positive and negative to negative.  It sounds like you have a bad connection and possibly a bad ground.   Make sure the negative cable from the batteries grounds to the engine.

It might be you left a cable off and do not realize it...  Good luck!

Best,
Phil

Offline Peoria Ron

« Reply #3 on: February 11, 2014, 12:06:43 PM »
In replacing the chassis batteries I layed the chassis cables on the house batteries....sparks flew and a posts on a house battery showed sign of melting.  After that the transmission light does not work;  engine will not crank and glow plug dash light will not light.  I check the fuses in battery compartment and fuses on the compartment under the bed.  All fuses appear to be good.  Now I would like to test relays. solenoids.  Any Ideas where I should start??
Peoria Ron
Peoria, IL
1999 Safari Zanzibar
Cat 3126B

Offline Brett Wolfe

• Global Moderator
« Reply #4 on: February 11, 2014, 12:11:49 PM »
From your first post, it appears you have a Safari.

I would give Monaco service a call to wiring information: 877-466-6226

Offline antiqueclockservice

« Reply #5 on: February 11, 2014, 03:03:17 PM »
Hi Ron,

Ouch!  Did you verify that the cables for the chassis batteries are still good?   I do not know much about your Motorhome, but suspect the dash lights are powered from the chassis batteries, so maybe the battery current is not getting to the motor or the dash?   I think you can verify that with just a test light or a volt meter.   Sure hope it is something relatively simple.

Again, Good luck with your diagnostics!

Phil
05 Alfa Cat C7
Best,
Phil

Offline David Deming

« Reply #6 on: February 11, 2014, 04:33:51 PM »
I worked on an Alfa that the batteries were hooked up with positive ground after body repair which resulted from crashing into a 5th wheel.  Look up very high under front hood slightly left/drivers side from center.  There is a large fuse holder 200+ amps (memory fading here) his was blown re-hooking the batteries correctly then replacing the big fuse (bolt on ends) fixed the problem.

Dave

Offline Peoria Ron

« Reply #7 on: April 05, 2014, 01:49:22 PM »
I have had an auto electrical tech take a look at my 1999 Safari Zanzibar with Magnum chassis.  He has found the Chassis Fuse Panel is  at fault.  Power in but no power out.  I need to find a replacement.  Does anyone have a suggestion as to where I may find a replacement?  I have attached a photo of the fuse panel.  Thank you.
Peoria Ron
Peoria, IL
1999 Safari Zanzibar
Cat 3126B

Offline Brett Wolfe

• Global Moderator
« Reply #8 on: April 05, 2014, 01:52:17 PM »
Ron,

On Monday, give Monaco service a call with your VIN and have them look it up:  877-466-6226

Looks like both fuses and a standard relay.  If no longer available, worse case, split it open to trace the wires and wire using individual fuse holders or one of the many mini fuse blocks found in the RV or marine industry and a separate relay.

Brett
« Last Edit: April 05, 2014, 06:45:01 PM by Brett Wolfe »

Offline Peoria Ron

« Reply #9 on: April 05, 2014, 05:51:49 PM »
Brett, thank you for your prompt reply I will call Monaco on Monday and report back to the group.
Peoria Ron
Peoria, IL
1999 Safari Zanzibar
Cat 3126B

Offline Peoria Ron

« Reply #10 on: April 13, 2014, 08:56:13 AM »
I contacted Monaco and they were unable to help with a replacement part.  They referred me to Northwest RV Supply but them don't seem to have a "chassis fuse panel".  Now I am looking for a replacement fuse panel that has an ECM repay.  Has anyone replaced a chassis fuse panel and if so what part did you use?
Peoria Ron
Peoria, IL
1999 Safari Zanzibar
Cat 3126B

Offline Brett Wolfe

• Global Moderator
« Reply #11 on: April 13, 2014, 09:11:34 AM »
Ron,

Salvage yards would be another option: http://community.fmca.com/topic/4373-obsolete-rv-parts-suppliers/?hl=salvage

If that fails to produce one, back to dissecting the old one and substituting  in line fuses/breakers and a relay.

Brett

Offline Douglas Klink

« Reply #12 on: April 13, 2014, 09:31:17 AM »
Or buy some pc board material and mount devices as required. On Apr 13, 2014 10:11 AM, "Brett Wolfe" <bawolfe10@hotmail.com> wrote:

Ron,

Salvage yards would be another option: < http://community.fmca.com/topic/4373-obsolete-rv-parts-suppliers/?hl=salvage

If that fails to produce one, back to dissecting the old one and substituting in line fuses/breakers and a relay.

Brett

Offline David Deming

« Reply #13 on: April 13, 2014, 10:14:20 AM »
A few years ago a neighbor had an electrical problem with a Monaco coach (do not remember the model or the problem) Monaco sent him a large fuse panel it was incorrect for his coach they said keep it and sent a second panel which was correct. The neighbor moved away and I ended up with the panel. I just looked and it is still out in the garage. If we swap pictures possibility some or all of this could fix you up.

Let's do it off the forum.
dndeming@frontier.com

Offline Peoria Ron

Re: Testing Relays and Fuses****FIXED***
« Reply #14 on: April 17, 2014, 11:59:11 AM »
Thank you all for your help.  You will recall I crossed wires replacing chassis batteries.  I thought I tracked down all fuse panels, I even placed the blame on a panel.  The I called Truck Centers, Inc. in Morton, IL they found a fuse panel for the brain box of my Allison Trans.  This new fuse panel was in a weather proof box secured with 8 screws.  Inside we found 6 relays for the Allison New World Transmission and one 10AMP fuse.  The fuse was blown...   This will hopefully be he last $1500 10AMP fuse I plan to buy.
Peoria Ron
Peoria, IL
1999 Safari Zanzibar
Cat 3126B