Author Topic: 3208  (Read 2857 times)

Offline Bitster98

« on: April 18, 2014, 06:05:48 PM »
Hello my name is joe. I joined this forum because it seems like there is a wealth of information& no drama. Hope I don't get beat up because I have a old coach. Hope someone can give me some help with a problem. Coach is a 90 executive/ 3208 ta/ 4sp/ gillig chassis. Went to drive it the other day and it has no power/ falls flat will not go over 1400 rpm. Can't shift out of 1st. This is the first time it has ever done this. Yesterday checked every thing over& could not find anything wrong.engine starts up no problem let it warm up 20 mins& drove it again. No change still no power. I did discover that the fuel shut off solenod on the ip was very hot. Could this be the problem? Sorry for the long first post but I really need to figure this out. Joe.

Offline Brett Wolfe

• Global Moderator
Re: 3208
« Reply #1 on: April 18, 2014, 06:56:49 PM »
Joe,

Welcome to the Diesel RV Club Technical Website.

Yes, a fuel shut-off that is not completely opening can easily cause your symptoms. Assume you have checked that the solenoid is getting 12 + VDC to the positive terminal and is tight (older ones grounded through the body of the solenoid-- newer ones have separate ground wire).

If that is not it, your fuel filters-- an engine that will idle fine, but not get enough fuel for higher RPM work could also be starved for fuel by a clogged filter.

Brett

BTW, great coach and chassis.

Offline Bitster98

« Reply #2 on: April 18, 2014, 08:07:28 PM »
Thanks brett I will check voltage and operation of that solenod in the am. I will also put a new filter on and prime it and hopefully that will do the trick. Thank you. Joe.

Offline Bitster98

« Reply #3 on: April 20, 2014, 10:35:23 AM »
Well I removed the solenod&all is good with it no problems there. When I removed the fuel filter I noticed it was only half full. The bleed t Handel on the ip pump was not tight. Put new filter on primed&started right up&will go to full power. That's the good part the bad part is it still not shift out of first gear!! So my saga goes on. It's like something is stuck. Transmission is a mt647 with a Bennett air shifter that also seems to work as it should.this has me stumped. Right now I got a coach that will go in reverse fine&go forward fine I just cannot go over 15 mph!!!! If anyone has a clue please let me know. This is old technology no codes/ obdi ect. Hope it's some thing simple. Thanks joe and hope everyone has a nice Easter Sunday.

Offline Brett Wolfe

• Global Moderator
« Reply #4 on: April 20, 2014, 01:46:40 PM »
Yes, a leak on the suction side of the lift pump will sure cause these symptoms.

I would call Allison on Monday and ask for their recommendation for a shop on your area that has someone familiar with the 647/air shifter.  If they can't tell you right away, ask for the name of the Allison rep for your area and ask him.  He WILL know.

Allison help line 800 252 5283

BTW, did these symptoms (no shifting) happen at the same time as the power loss-- strange that two systems would go down at the same time.