Author Topic: Ruined Cat C-7 (3126) under 30K  (Read 6418 times)

Offline bobsmit

Ruined Cat C-7 (3126) under 30K
« on: October 23, 2014, 09:41:53 AM »
Does anyone have a suggestion or similar experience?  I am at a loss.
At just under 30,000 miles my 2005 C-7 engine is ruined. It requires a new short block because cylinders 5 & 6 were flooded by its defective injectors. My 2005 Fleetwood is no longer under any formal warrantee.  Cat engine help line won’t help stating it is out of warrantee and referred me to the regional rep for Salina Utah who says he won’t help. I am faced with paying the full cost of replacing my engine that should have lasted 250,000 miles before it has a burp. It just doesn't seem right.  All maintenance has been done on time, no overheats, no signs of fuel filter failure and no fuel signs in the oil. 
It is currently in Salina Utah Kenworth getting the short block replacement. 

Offline antiqueclockservice

Re: Ruined Cat C-7 (3126) under 30K
« Reply #1 on: October 23, 2014, 12:08:28 PM »
Hi Bob,

Sorry to hear of your problem and your loss.   Were there any prior indicators that something was not well with the C7?

best,
Phil
Best,
Phil

Offline bobsmit

« Reply #2 on: October 23, 2014, 12:56:38 PM »
Some history.  This is our first diesel and we bought from good friends last May ('14).  They wanted to sell because of life changes.  We had it inspected  etc. and all was well plus our friends have impeccable integrity.  The coach had all the records with about 25K miles.  We took it on a fall trip putting on 4,000 miles from Oregon, through Wyoming, So. Dakota and down to Oklahoma.  As we were in climbing hills in Colorado heading back toward Oregon it started loosing pulling power on mountain passes.  We were climbing Monarch  pass on Hwy 50 and all pull power was lost and it was running very rough.  Fortunately we were at a safe wide spot and we got turned around and took it to Swisher Diesel in Buena Vista.
Their diagnosis was that #5&6 injectors were not working and they replaced them.

We left there going over Monarch Pass (13K+ elevation) but it did not pull as I thought it should. I called Swisher who said it was just the elevation. I made it a few hundred more miles to Salida Utah.  Kenworth's testing showed # 5&6 with 20 & 21 compression. We left it there and drove our tow home to Oregon.  Hope that helps. 

Offline Brett Wolfe

• Global Moderator
« Reply #3 on: October 23, 2014, 03:55:13 PM »
Normally there are multiple symptoms from stuck injectors:

Oil level "grows" as oil is diluted with diesel.

Lots of smoke, particularly on start up-- extra fuel means SMOKE.

BIG drop in MPG.

Would be interested in how many of these symptoms occurred and how long before the major engine damage.

BTW, there are companies who bore and sleeve 3126 engine cylinders-- have seen it done at Caterpillar dealers.

Offline bobsmit

« Reply #4 on: October 24, 2014, 07:49:46 AM »
Brett - Thank you for responding.
I watched the oil level and observed no change as well the two mechanics that worked on the engine found oil level correct and did not find fuel diluted oil.

During our trip I added one gallon to coolant but never needed more.

I was told to watch for blue smoke and did not observe any during operation on the flat or up hills under load.

Re the MPG, it stayed right at 8mpg as shown on electronic readout. I also watched the monitor for oil pressure and engine temp and they stayed in normal.

The installation of CAT rebuilt short block is being finished today and they will test.  I hope to pick it up next Monday.  I do not believe the CAT mechanics know why injectors failed but have diagnosed that they did.  I was hoping for some CAT help with price but that isn't to be.  I am told there is a Forum Plus one can join that may have some discount help but I can't find it on line.

Any help someone can provide me direct me to forum plus or someone at CAT would be appreciated.
Thank you  Bob Smit

Offline bobsmit

« Reply #5 on: October 24, 2014, 10:00:18 AM »
RV Forum Plus - Thank you Tim G.  for getting me directed.  I am now a member.  I am currently interested in discount from Caterpillar.  Several providers are listed for Caterpillar, are the listed places the only one that give discount or is it any Caterpillar dealer?
I don't see Kenworth at Salina Utah listed, does that mean they do not give this discount?

Sorry for all the questions, this newbie has lots to learn.
Bob Smit

Offline bobsmit

Re: Ruined Cat C-7 (3126) under 30K (BIGThank you Caterpillar)
« Reply #6 on: November 18, 2014, 03:56:01 PM »
All
I wanted to close out this thread with a big thank you to Caterpillar and Dave Van Dyke at Kenworth of Salida, Utah!

The cause of the engine failure was #5 & #6 injectors flooded the cylinders, which caused loss of lubrication, the scaring of the walls and the loss of compression. 

Dave Van Dyke took the issue to the Regional Cat rep and Cat covered the majority of replacing the engine.  I just can't say enough good things about Dave, the Rep or Cat because my coach was not under warrantee at the time.
Still amazed;
Bob Smit