Author Topic: Allison Service Procedure  (Read 3354 times)

Offline Gadget Man

Allison Service Procedure
« on: February 05, 2015, 09:31:44 AM »
My Allison 3000MH transmission is due for a Transynd fluid/filter change next year. I had this done by my Freightliner dealer the last time, but now that I’m retired, I have the time and energy to do it myself. Problem is, I can’t find any documentation on how to complete the service. My Freightliner service manual doesn’t cover it, so I called Allison and asked if they had any reference material. They said no, but the service is relatively easy. That doesn’t help me much, so I thought I’d come here for help. Anybody have anything typed up that I can print-out for easy reference?

Thanks.

Craig
2005 Fleetwood Providence 39J
Cat C7 350, MP-8 Tuner
Freightliner XC Chassis

Offline Brett Wolfe

• Global Moderator
Re: Allison Service Procedure
« Reply #1 on: February 05, 2015, 10:15:55 AM »
Craig,

The Allison filter kits come with complete instructions, including torques.  You will need an inch-lb torque wrench or a ft-lb that goes fairly low ( steel bolts into aluminum case).

It is a pretty easy job.  Start by cleaning the bottom of the transmission to keep dirt out of it.

Brett

Offline ziggyh

« Reply #2 on: February 05, 2015, 07:09:21 PM »
Here is a link to a manual that has the procedure outlined around page 57 to see what the job entails, it is from an 2005 mh3000-4000 series.  Also has some troubleshooting info.

http://www.rvtechlibrary.com/transmissions/3000_4000_operators.pdf

ZiggyH

2007 Revolution LE
C9

Offline WILDEBILL308

« Reply #3 on: February 23, 2015, 07:31:17 PM »
Craig hear is a good resource for you by entering your transmission serial number you can find the exact parts you need.
http://www.allisontransmission.com/my-allison/customer
I found the torque numbers extremely high for going into aluminum but they get by using bolts that have more than twice the thread area as standard bolts. Torque 38-45 pounds foot for the filter housing bolts and 18-24 pounds foot for the drain plug.
Be carful cleaning off any gasket that sticks to the filter housing as you don't want to scratch the aluminum as you could create a leak path. Hear is a video that you might find helpful.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lZD8ey8mUo8
Bill
2003 Bounder 38N,300 HP 5.9 Cummins
Allison 3000MH Trans.Towing 2014 Honda CRV. Home base Fort Worth, Texas
A man who carries a cat by the tail learns something he can learn in no other way.
-Mark Twain-

Offline Captpar

« Reply #4 on: October 23, 2018, 09:17:14 AM »
You tube video cited above states tighten filter bolts to 32, whilje above says 38-42 which one is right?interesting since I plan on replacing my filters this weekend.

Offline David.e.atherton

• Global Moderator
« Reply #5 on: October 23, 2018, 01:25:58 PM »
Captpar, I would suggest use Allison technical information direct versus direction from
outside sources. lately on other technical problems the outside information versus
OEM specs there has been a difference of option in values incorrect torque in other areas
Ask Dave, Dave Atherton Retired Cat Mechanic.

Offline Brett Wolfe

• Global Moderator
« Reply #6 on: October 23, 2018, 01:40:29 PM »
The good news here is that the Allison filter kit comes with very complete instructions.  No need to search.

An inch-lb torque wrench and a 3/8" ratchet and a couple of sockets and you are good to go.

VERY simple operation.

Really hard to make this complicated.

Offline Captpar

« Reply #7 on: October 30, 2018, 11:42:48 AM »
Changed filters and after thinking about it went ahead ang changed the fluid. I marked my container for the drained fluid so I would know how much to replace. The drained fluid showed
4 gallons,so I poured in four  gallons of new transsyde. However when I poured the old fluid  into the jugs I only got 3.75 gallons. So I overfilled by one quart.  Not really wanting to open it up again and drain a qt out,I fired it up and went for a ride to heat up the transmission. Then checked it with keypad!,it stated oil OK. So am I good to go,Or do you recommend draining the qt out?

Offline David.e.atherton

• Global Moderator
« Reply #8 on: October 30, 2018, 03:01:50 PM »
Captpar, your not in trouble on overfill. When draining transmission you do not drain 100%
of all the fluid because there is little oil Trapped in the system. Checking messenger on
Allison touchpad also indicated some thing. Biggest thing recheck bolts torque on filter
housing and filter housing being wet from weeping gasket. Ask Dave, Dave Atherton Retired
Cat Mechanic