Author Topic: Please Help. Newbie Doing First Oil Change!  (Read 7621 times)

Offline zagracing

Please Help. Newbie Doing First Oil Change!
« on: March 14, 2015, 06:54:06 PM »
Hi Lads,

My first post here.
I picked up a 1998 Damon Ultrasport with a Cat 275 diesel engine.
Has 50K on the clock and I am doing my first round of service to it.

I am a shady tree mechanic having worked on many cars and motorcycles but this is my first diesel engine.
Forgive me if I sound like a newb, I am really not, I just want to make certain I learn and do the maintenance correctly.

Today I drained the 5 gallons of oil from the rig and replaced the oil filter.
I took a look at the small Cat manual that came with the rig and it states that the fuel should be shut off after oil is added and the engine cranked.
I suppose, like many cars I have worked on, they want to see oil pressure on the gauge before you light it up completely. It also states to not fill
the new filter which is an odd one for me having always done that. I get it though and no big deal there.

What I need to know is how does the fuel get shut off on these engines?
I have found a water separator, a second fuel filter under what looks to be a air purge valve and then another canister towards the rear of the engine
which I am not certain what it is. See the pics below.
Maybe someone can just explain the valve in the picture?
It says to tighten after use and there is a little fuel pump picture on it but that's all I know about it. Certainly someone here knows the score?

Great to meet you all and thanks in advance for the help.

Bernie

(http://i112.photobucket.com/albums/n167/b2nomad/photo%201_zpsx4phdssp.jpg)

(http://i112.photobucket.com/albums/n167/b2nomad/photo%202_zps65n4bk0k.jpg)

(http://i112.photobucket.com/albums/n167/b2nomad/photo%203_zpsr4i3sdx7.jpg)

(http://i112.photobucket.com/albums/n167/b2nomad/photo%204_zpshpg4zcex.jpg)

Offline Brett Wolfe

• Global Moderator
Re: Please Help. Newbie Doing First Oil Change!
« Reply #1 on: March 15, 2015, 08:38:21 AM »
Bernie,

Welcome to the Diesel RV Club.

Your pictures are:

1. Upside down picture of the PRIMARY (course) fuel filter and water separator.  Should be 10-30 micron filter element.

2. Picture of Caterpillar SECONDARY (fine= 2 micron on your engine) fuel filter with Caterpillar manual primer pump.

3. Close up of Caterpillar manual primer pump.  Use it to prime the fuel system after filter change. To use, unscrew the gnarl nut (counter-clockwise) and pump.  If both filters are replaced, can take 50-80 strokes.  All at once, it will go from very easy (air is easy to compress) to very hard (fuel does not compress and there is a check valve in the fuel return line that retains pressure).  Push the know in and screw it back in to lock it (clockwise).

Never seen an on-highway manual that said to shut off fuel after oil change.  Parts are lubed by the oil already on them for WAY longer than it takes to fill the oil filter.  If you feel you must fill the oil filter (against Caterpillar's recommendation) prior to installing it, the small outer holes are the INLETS, the large center hole the OUTLET.  So fill ONLY the outer small holes.  Any in the center goes straight to the engine without being filtered.
« Last Edit: March 15, 2015, 11:35:38 AM by Brett Wolfe »

Offline zagracing

« Reply #2 on: March 15, 2015, 09:55:12 AM »
Thank you Brett,

This forum is a Godsend for people like me getting into these rigs for the first time.

Just to clarify everything before I do this.

Oil is drained
Fuel filter changed
New oil is in
Gonna just fire it up

Nothing else.

Bernie

Offline Brett Wolfe

• Global Moderator
« Reply #3 on: March 15, 2015, 10:09:19 AM »
Bernie,

Yes, assuming you have primed the fuel filters (manual primer pump hard to push AND locked in closed position), yup, just start it up.

Bet you have full oil pressure within 10 seconds-- probably even less.

Reality with the 3126, until you have oil pressure, there will be no fuel injected, as the HEUI pump uses oil pressure to build injection PSI.

Brett
« Last Edit: March 15, 2015, 10:20:13 AM by Brett Wolfe »

Offline zagracing

« Reply #4 on: March 15, 2015, 10:36:42 AM »
That is great to know Brett and thank you.

To be clear, I am only changing the oil and oil filter right now.
I am bringing the rig to a RV shop next week to go through the air brakes and general chassis.
I will let them deal with the diesel stink of changing the fuel filters. I am also going to ask them to
spend an hour with me to walk around the vehicle and learn all of the various maintenance items
that I may be unaware of.

Bernie

Offline Brett Wolfe

• Global Moderator
« Reply #5 on: March 15, 2015, 11:38:21 AM »
Be sure to grease the engine fan hub bearing (done from ABOVE= bedroom or closet).  It is on the front top  of the engine (back of coach). It is an often neglected grease zirk.

Offline zagracing

« Reply #6 on: March 15, 2015, 12:43:32 PM »
Copy that and thank you!

I filled the oil up and then started the engine.
There was no cranking involved, the engine started in its normal timeframe.
The oil light was on for about 2 seconds and then went out as the pressure gauge simultaneously jumped up.
Guess its all good.

I am sure I will be back.
Dealing with an electrical issue on another forum.
If I don't get to my answer there, I will head back here for more expert assistance.

Bernie

Offline zagracing

« Reply #7 on: March 15, 2015, 08:26:06 PM »
Hey Brett,

I have another question.
You mentioned greasing the fan.
I found the grease fitting on top of the fan but I have to get a different grease gun as mine has to wide a tip to get into that tight spot.

Is this fan supposed to be a viscous type?
I ask because the fan doesn't spin by hand, it turns the whole assembly on the belt.
If it were a car with a viscous fan, I would say it is time for a replacement but not sure how these fans are supposed to work.
Maybe the fan shaft just gets lubed to keep it spinning freely?

Cheers
Bernie

Offline Brett Wolfe

• Global Moderator
« Reply #8 on: March 16, 2015, 06:59:32 AM »
Fan is likely (very likely) a solid drive one.  So it will not turn by hand-- sure not easily.

With the 3126, be sure to check the water pump belt-- it is a separate regular V belt and in on a manual adjuster and done from below.

Should be able to grease the fan hub bearing with a standard flex hose on a regular grease gun.