Author Topic: Air Filter Replacement  (Read 7390 times)

Offline Gadget Man

Air Filter Replacement
« on: November 06, 2015, 01:12:31 PM »
I’ve always left my engine air filter replacement up to my mechanic, but I’ve decided to try and replace it myself this year. Looks fairly straightforward...anything special I should know?

Thanks.

Craig
2005 Fleetwood Providence 39J
Cat C7 350, MP-8 Tuner
Freightliner XC Chassis

Offline Brett Wolfe

• Global Moderator
Re: Air Filter Replacement
« Reply #1 on: November 06, 2015, 02:09:10 PM »
Nothing special-- looks like you have good access.

If you can shorten the corrugated hose to make is more smooth wall, that would be a slight improvement.  Also, check above the floor level to make it as smooth wall as possible.

Offline talotto

• 2004 Itasca Meridian 36G, 330HP C7 Cat
« Reply #2 on: November 06, 2015, 04:00:36 PM »
Yep, I've done mine many times - only advice beyond what you got from Brett is to leave the two filter body clamps loose until you get the hoses attached, then tighten them last.  It seems to work better for me to be able to re-position it slightly when attaching the plumbing.
2004 Itasca Meridian 36G, 330HP C7 Cat

Offline antiqueclockservice

« Reply #3 on: November 07, 2015, 06:34:52 AM »
Hi,

Only thing I can add is....  do not throw the old one away until you have looked at the new filter.  I had to reuse the inlet piece and drill new holes in the new filter to secure the inlet.
Best,
Phil

Offline WILDEBILL308

« Reply #4 on: November 08, 2015, 10:17:35 AM »
You got lucky I have seen some that were much harder to get to. My only comment is to clean around the outlet/engine side before you take it apart and be carful that you don't let any dust/dirt get into the air duct on the engine side. You might take a good look at the duct and see if you see any dust in it. It is also a good time to inspect the integrate of the rest  of the intake system for damage or chafing loose clamps ect.
 I have ben known to wipe the inside with a damp cloth to make shore there is no dust.
Just make shore you get a good seal when  you go back together
Bill
2003 Bounder 38N,300 HP 5.9 Cummins
Allison 3000MH Trans.Towing 2014 Honda CRV. Home base Fort Worth, Texas
A man who carries a cat by the tail learns something he can learn in no other way.
-Mark Twain-

Offline Gadget Man

« Reply #5 on: November 09, 2015, 10:56:49 AM »
Thanks for the replies everyone. Unfortunately I was unsuccessful. This may look like a simple job, but it wasn’t in my case. I never got past step one, which was to remove the rubber air hose on the left side of the filter housing. I loosened the hose clamps, but could not for the life of me get the hose loosened from the fitting. I have a bad back so the awkward position of trying to pry it loose while leaning into the battery compartment took it’s toll. I was also afraid that prying the hose loose with anything like a screwdriver would result in a torn hose. I gave up and will relent to my mechanic on this one... :-[

Craig
2005 Fleetwood Providence 39J
Cat C7 350, MP-8 Tuner
Freightliner XC Chassis