Author Topic: safari with cat 3126 cranks but will not start  (Read 1450 times)

Offline underwaterguru

safari with cat 3126 cranks but will not start
« on: May 08, 2016, 12:42:12 PM »
I have a 1998 Safari with a Cat 3126 (old version. ecu plugs top and bottom) . The ignition relay in the left front panel failed open. With the motor running you could not shut it off with the key. I used the shut off in the service panel. I have replaced that relay and got it to restart. While running it died and has not restarted. Thought maybe clogged filters so I put on and primed new fuel filters. Still cranks but no start. I also have no engine lights on the dash. Got Cat Man at justanswer to help diagnose power to the ecm. At first I had good grounds but no power. Redoing the connections on the relay restored power to the ecm. Still no engine lights on the dash, cranks but will not start. Any help will be great. The coach is stranded in the driveway so I can check thing fast.

Offline Brett Wolfe

• Global Moderator
Re: safari with cat 3126 cranks but will not start
« Reply #1 on: May 08, 2016, 02:42:27 PM »
underwaterguru,

Welcome to the Diesel RV Club.

When you say ignition relay, assume you are talking about the ignition solenoid.  The ignition is the trigger for the solenoid to close and supply power to Allison, engine and all those things that just work with the ignition on.

An easy check to see if it is working is the dash HVAC fan (should work with key on) and that the Allison shift pad is illuminated.

Do those two things work?

Brett