Author Topic: 2005 Cat C7 Fleetwood Discovery - Overheating  (Read 7831 times)

Offline brenthg

2005 Cat C7 Fleetwood Discovery - Overheating
« on: June 17, 2016, 10:21:53 AM »
I've read so many posts about the Cat C7 powered Freightliner chassis and the problematic rear radiator getting clogged with oil and grease that ultimately causes overheating.  I've only owned this coach for a couple of weeks now and decided to take it in to a truck repair center and have them diagnose the intermittent overheating and high engine temps.

Sure enough, the engine side of the radiator was packed with dirt and oil.  They also did a pressure check and discovered several leaks so a replacement is in order.  Waiting for a new one to be shipped and installed, and in the mean time they are going to check everything else while the radiator and CAC are removed, and install new thermostats.  I'll feel more comfortable taking it out on the road for the long hauls when this work is complete.

Here's a photo of the rear of my coach, a 2005 Fleetwood Discovery 39S:

Offline Brett Wolfe

• Global Moderator
Re: 2005 Cat C7 Fleetwood Discovery - Overheating
« Reply #1 on: June 17, 2016, 09:05:42 PM »
brenthg,

Welcome to the Diesel RV Club.

Yes, cleaning the CAC/radiator is part of the annual maintenance on any rear radiator coach. And, if not done, it can clog to the point that insufficient air gets through to keep the engine operating temperature where it needs to be.

Offline edw879

• Have a Great Day
« Reply #2 on: June 18, 2016, 08:45:56 AM »
Time to have the Coolant recovery Tank (Tank Surge, FLH, plastic ~ 05-17750-001) checked for the plastic condition,
I had to replace one on a 2005 Fleetwood Diesel Bounder this year due to plastic rot at the seam from sun exposure wouldn't hold coolant.
Lot easier to replace now than after the coach is reassembled. The Freightliner part  number 05-17750-001 may mayn't be correct for your coach.

Ed,
2005 Bounder 39Z 

Offline brenthg

« Reply #3 on: June 22, 2016, 09:19:28 AM »
Truck center decided to have a radiator repair company that specializes in truck cooling systems take a look at my radiator to see if it can be repaired. Hoping to get good news.

Offline WILDEBILL308

« Reply #4 on: June 23, 2016, 06:55:17 PM »
Welcome to the Diesel RV Club.
Let us know if they can fix it. I think too many times they push a new radiator because they make more selling the new one.
Bill
2003 Bounder 38N,300 HP 5.9 Cummins
Allison 3000MH Trans.Towing 2014 Honda CRV. Home base Fort Worth, Texas
A man who carries a cat by the tail learns something he can learn in no other way.
-Mark Twain-