Author Topic: Need help to ID filter housing on 02 Journey  (Read 5658 times)

Offline gypsy

Need help to ID filter housing on 02 Journey
« on: July 19, 2016, 02:57:07 PM »
I need to find out the manufacturer and model numbers for the primary fuel filter on my Journey. It feeds a 02 Cummins ISB 5.9  It might have been a Fleetguard #FF9188-04 at least thats what Quick Serve told me, but that is no longer a good number. I have attached a drawing of housing.

Any info anyone can find would be appreciated.
On and Off Again Full Timer, Workamper, 43+ years of camping experience, 21+ years towing 5'ers., 5yrs Motorhome. New Toy, Winny, Journey WKP32T, Cummins ISB 275 HP, Allison 2000, 5 speed Auto, towing 2012 Nisson Xterra 4X4 Auto W/ drive shaft disconnect!

Offline Brett Wolfe

• Global Moderator
Re: Need help to ID filter housing on 02 Journey
« Reply #1 on: July 20, 2016, 04:13:10 PM »
Have you called Freightliner, Gaffney with your VIN and question?

Freightliner 800 385-4357.

Offline gypsy

« Reply #2 on: July 23, 2016, 01:20:41 PM »
I have called both Cummins anf Freightliner as well as Winnebago. Cummins has the old part number on it's Quick Serve parts list, but the item is no longer available and they could not provide any info. Combed the Racor images looking for a similar housing, but no exact match. The similarity with Dodge housings is striking but again no match.
On and Off Again Full Timer, Workamper, 43+ years of camping experience, 21+ years towing 5'ers., 5yrs Motorhome. New Toy, Winny, Journey WKP32T, Cummins ISB 275 HP, Allison 2000, 5 speed Auto, towing 2012 Nisson Xterra 4X4 Auto W/ drive shaft disconnect!

Offline Brett Wolfe

• Global Moderator
« Reply #3 on: July 23, 2016, 02:22:54 PM »
Gypsy,

The good news is that if you can not find a replacement for that filter, you can choose another filter housing for your primary fuel filter-- one you can readily get parts for.

I would look for one that:
1. Can be conveniently mounted where you can service it.
2. Has a clear bowl so you can see if you have contamination in the fuel
3. Has 10-30 micron filter elements available.

(Then the proper 2-5 micron secondary fuel filter)

Brett

Offline gypsy

« Reply #4 on: August 01, 2016, 01:31:28 PM »
Brett, are you saying that there should be two filters, i only know of the inline Racor screen type cartridge on the frame and the primary at the rear of the coach. Am i missing one?  To the best of my knowledge the "primary 10 micron"  between lift pump and VP-44 is the only filter.  I ques it might be a good idea to add a second?

Offline Brett Wolfe

• Global Moderator
« Reply #5 on: August 01, 2016, 02:05:11 PM »
Your chassis maker specs and installs the filters.

So give them a call with your VIN.

For example, many Freightliner chassis with the ISB have a "secret" filter up in the frame rail.  Some Freightliners have one additional filter, some two.

There is just NO "here is how they are all done".

This, from the Cummins supplement from my maintenance presentations:

Cummins Fuel Strainer: Every Cummins ISB02 RV from FCCC since 9/2002
has a fuel strainer/filter on frame rail: 025-RAC 10.
http://www.freightlinerchassisownersclub.org/PDF/ISB02_Fuel_Strainer.pdf