Author Topic: C7 Radiator/CAC Removal  (Read 13761 times)

Offline Gadget Man

C7 Radiator/CAC Removal
« on: July 29, 2016, 11:50:02 AM »
I own a 2005 Fleetwood Providence built on a Freightliner XC chassis with a rear radiator Cat C7 engine.

As many Cat engine owners of the same era know, the factory dropped the ball with regards to the engine’s oil dipstick and crankcase breather (slobber) tube. My coach was only one year old when I bought it, but the original owner put 19K miles on the coach in his one year of ownership. He did nothing to fix the slobber tube problem, so I unknowingly bought a coach with a clogged radiator and CAC. I immediately educated myself thanks to this and other forums. I fixed the problem, but the damage had already been done by the original owner. After two dozen cleanings, I still have overheating problems on long hard pulls during summer months. I have decided to drop the radiator and CAC in order to properly clean the areas of both assemblies that are inaccessible with them in place. My diesel mechanic wants $2000 for the job, which is mostly labor. My son is a certified auto mechanic. He offered to help me do the job to save the labor expense.

My Freightliner repair manual has no section on radiator/CAC removal, so I have come here for help. I'm sure some of you have done this job yourselves, so I am hoping for some help and tips on how to best tackle this job, which I know will be difficult one.

Thanks!

Craig
2005 Fleetwood Providence 39J
Cat C7 350, MP-8 Tuner
Freightliner XC Chassis

Offline WILDEBILL308

Re: C7 Radiator/CAC Removal
« Reply #1 on: July 29, 2016, 07:09:02 PM »
Craig, I would call or email Freightliner and ask for instructions and possible drawings showing how to get it out.
Bill
2003 Bounder 38N,300 HP 5.9 Cummins
Allison 3000MH Trans.Towing 2014 Honda CRV. Home base Fort Worth, Texas
A man who carries a cat by the tail learns something he can learn in no other way.
-Mark Twain-

Offline Gadget Man

« Reply #2 on: July 29, 2016, 09:23:59 PM »
Craig, I would call or email Freightliner and ask for instructions and possible drawings showing how to get it out.

That's a good idea, thanks Bill.
Cat C7 350, MP-8 Tuner
Freightliner XC Chassis

Offline WILDEBILL308

« Reply #3 on: July 31, 2016, 07:48:22 PM »
Let us know what you find out. They have been good to me when looking at electrical drawings.
Bill
A man who carries a cat by the tail learns something he can learn in no other way.
-Mark Twain-

Offline wclogger1

« Reply #4 on: August 03, 2016, 08:08:36 AM »
When I pulled my rad Nd cac on my 05 Journey, I talked to FCC. I was looking for a parts breakdown so I didn't miss any bolts. I was told there was no breakdown as the shroud, radiator and cac were installed as an assembly from there supplier. I then took it apart piece by piece because I would have to dissasemble all the components to clean them anyways.
Abob

Bill

Offline Gadget Man

« Reply #5 on: August 06, 2016, 07:13:50 PM »
wclogger1,

You lead me back to my original question, any tips on removing the assemblies? Did they come out from the bedroom or below the chassis?

Thanks.

Craig
Cat C7 350, MP-8 Tuner
Freightliner XC Chassis

Offline WILDEBILL308

« Reply #6 on: August 06, 2016, 08:23:06 PM »
When I pulled my rad Nd cac on my 05 Journey, I talked to FCC. I was looking for a parts breakdown so I didn't miss any bolts. I was told there was no breakdown as the shroud, radiator and cac were installed as an assembly from there supplier. I then took it apart piece by piece because I would have to dissasemble all the components to clean them anyways.
Abob

Bill
I would still believe that Freightliner would be able to help you as they built the chassis and installed the radiator and CAC. They then sent it to Fleetwood to finish. 
Bill
-Mark Twain-

Offline wclogger1

« Reply #7 on: August 07, 2016, 06:45:10 PM »
Sorry about the delay, took all pieces through the back. Had to remove the fibreglass lower piece around the back of rig. Removed all bolts but it really helps if you own a set of ratchet wrenches with the swivel set up. I also used my 1/4 " drive more than I thought. I was a diesel mechanic for a good part of my working life so have a good selection of tools. You will need a hand to wrestle the rad and colers out, I took them out one at a time and then the shroud. I gues they could be taken out as an assembly but you would have to build some type of staging to pull it out on or a forklift.
I also took the opportunity to update the fan hub bearing to Cat's new one and changed the thermostats. I have checked my fan hub play each year by slacking the belt tension and could find no movement. But when I had all this apart and turned the fan hub the bearing felt very dry, which it was. The new bearing is configured differently and looks more robust. My coach has 51,000 miles on it. I did post some of this on the irV2 forum under the Cat forum section. Rgds, Bob

wclogger1,

You lead me back to my original question, any tips on removing the assemblies? Did they come out from the bedroom or below the chassis?

Thanks.

Craig

Offline vrodboy

« Reply #8 on: August 08, 2016, 06:59:03 AM »
I'm not brave enough to drop the radiator from our 2005 Discovery!! So going to pay the piper $2000+. My Freightliner guy also recommended replacing all the belts when the engine is exposed with radiator removed.

I'm retired and work 2 part-time jobs to keep this POS on the road.

Good luck!

ed

Offline Brett Wolfe

• Global Moderator
« Reply #9 on: August 08, 2016, 08:17:28 AM »
Ed,

On an 11 year old rear radiator coach, were I to remove the CAC and radiator, I would replace:

Belts, automatic belt tensioner, thermostats, fan hub bearings, coolant, and check water pump carefully for play and signs of looseness.

Offline vrodboy

« Reply #10 on: August 08, 2016, 01:35:09 PM »
Great points Brett!! When can you stop by and remove said radiator.........LOL

Offline Brett Wolfe

• Global Moderator
« Reply #11 on: August 08, 2016, 02:18:35 PM »
Don't know where you are located, but suspect I am:

1. More than 1,000 miles away and can't get there.
2. Can quickly get more than 1,000 miles away.

Brett

Offline Gadget Man

« Reply #12 on: August 08, 2016, 05:16:01 PM »
Thanks for the info Bob, I appreciate it. I was planning on doing all the belts/hoses at the same time. I didn't realize there was an updated fan bearing available, so I will definitely look into that.

Thanks again.

Craig
Cat C7 350, MP-8 Tuner
Freightliner XC Chassis

Offline wclogger1

« Reply #13 on: August 09, 2016, 04:13:57 PM »
I had the alternator done while things were apart, 115.00 and everything is good. I had changed belts shortly before. Also took the opportunity to window the top portion of the shroud so I could access the fan etc. Easier. Had to drill out the fan hub bolts as could not move them even using an impact driver. I tried using a left hand drill bit but that didn't work so so just drilled the head off and replaced bolts. Remember all these engine fastners are metric.
A friend of mine has just gone through a seized up water pump in his 3126, I am thinking I should have done the water pump while getting at it was easier with all the big items out of the way.
After looking at how my cac was clogged up including grass and leaves between it and the radiator I don't know how you possibly get any where close to clean all in place. I gues if you did it regularily from when the coach was new.
Bob