Author Topic: Short-Cycling Hydraulic Fans  (Read 5120 times)

Offline tkbowers

Short-Cycling Hydraulic Fans
« on: September 05, 2016, 02:10:18 PM »
I drive a 1994 Foretravel U-240 powered by a Cat 3116 engine. The side-mounted radiator has two hydraulic fans. These fans continuously cycle on and off (at the rate of about one cycle per second) after a cold start. I believe this is hard on a number of components and I had to replace a ruptured hydraulic line just a few days ago. Is there a way to configure the controls so that the fans just run continuously? Foretravel is aware of this condition but was unable to offer a fix. Thank you!
« Last Edit: September 05, 2016, 04:05:59 PM by tkbowers »

Offline Brett Wolfe

• Global Moderator
Re: Short-Cycling Hydraulic Fans
« Reply #1 on: September 06, 2016, 09:11:20 AM »
Tom,

Foretravel used a few different controllers during that time period.  And some of the OE ones are no longer available. 1994 was the first year of the two fan configuration-- dictated by the demand for  walk around space on the full right side of the bed. So 1994 and 1995 (last year of the U240) are different than previous years.

When I needed to replace mine (1993 Foretravel U240) I contacted Mike Grimes, Parts Manager at Foretravel to find out if a replacement for mine could be located, and if not for a proper substitute.

I would start by determining what brand and model controller you have.  It will be between the hydraulic pump and the fan. Some are at/on a coolant pipe, others are are electrically activated.

Let us know what you find.
« Last Edit: September 06, 2016, 01:58:29 PM by Brett Wolfe »

Offline tkbowers

« Reply #2 on: September 06, 2016, 11:04:23 AM »
Thanks Brett!

Offline tkbowers

« Reply #3 on: October 31, 2016, 12:28:42 PM »
Hi Brett. I looked for a controller on my hydraulic system and could find no such device. I traced lines to and from the reservoir as well as those leading from the pump to the fans. I even looked for wires leading to the pump but found none. Any more suggestions? Thanks. Tom

Offline Brett Wolfe

• Global Moderator
« Reply #4 on: October 31, 2016, 02:58:33 PM »
Tom,

The 1994 U240 hydraulic fan set up is completely different than the 1993 that we had, as the radiator and CAC are different. Two fans vs one.  Short, long components vs tall and square.  This was to accommodate the walk around bed on passenger's side.

I would get with James Triana (technical guru at Foretravel) and/or Mike Grimes (parts mgr at Foretravel).

Brett