Author Topic: Daytime Driving Lights In-op  (Read 3361 times)

Offline stadams76

Daytime Driving Lights In-op
« on: September 28, 2016, 06:10:00 PM »
We have a 2001 Monaco Dynasty, 40 foot diesel pusher. Our daytime driving lights have stopped working.  We replaced the fuse with no help.  The head lights work properly both low and high beams. Any suggestions on where to look next?

Offline Brett Wolfe

• Global Moderator
Re: Daytime Driving Lights In-op
« Reply #1 on: September 29, 2016, 05:40:31 AM »
Do you have a wiring diagram?

Quite likely there is a relay that powers them.  That is where I would start if the fuse is good.

Offline stadams76

« Reply #2 on: September 29, 2016, 06:36:04 AM »
Looking at the wiring diagram, the fuse goes to the back of the light switch on the dash and stops there.

Offline Brett Wolfe

• Global Moderator
« Reply #3 on: September 29, 2016, 07:21:58 AM »
Interesting.

So, how does one choose DRL vs low/high beams???

Offline stadams76

« Reply #4 on: September 29, 2016, 07:30:58 AM »
Am I reading the diagram correctly?

Offline trekker01

« Reply #5 on: September 29, 2016, 10:00:34 AM »
My understanding is the DRL (Daytime Running Lights) don't turn on through the headlight switch, and are not powered through the fuse/circuit that goes to that switch, but are activated via a relay when the ignition switch is on, engine started.  Is what you are calling Daytime Driving Lights the same thing?  Or were your lights controlled by the headlight switch (driving lights activated by high beam selection), or a separate switch that operated only when on low beam?  First would be night time supplemental driving lights, second would be fog lights.

Gary
Gary
1998 Safari Sahara 300 Cat

Offline ziggyh

« Reply #6 on: October 02, 2016, 03:29:41 PM »
When I look at the diagram provided, I see that both headlamps have there L and R low beam filament's connected in parallel and the  L and R Hi beam filament's connected in parallel.  The Hi/Low switch powers either the hi or low beam circuits from the black wire through the light switch.  I think that this wiring diagram shows that the headlight switch functions as turning on the headlamps, the park lamps, turning on the map lights by supplying the ground to the Map lights and providing power to the the icc light relay pin 30.  This wiring does not provide a DRL circuit.  DRL circuits can run the low or hi beam bulbs at a reduced voltage through a resister or module, or powering the head lamp filaments series with each other or even through a side marker light.  There may be another diagram for DRL option or it was not equipped or like my MH DRL is simply having the low beams on whenever the trans is in gear

My motorhome has a relay that powers the low beam bulbs when the trans is in drive, turning on the headlamp switch turns on the low beams weather the trans is in neutral or drive and allows you to turn on the Hi beams.  There is no difference in intensity on the low beams weather the headlight switch is on or not. 
ZiggyH

2007 Revolution LE
C9

Offline ziggyh

« Reply #7 on: October 02, 2016, 04:57:36 PM »
If there is no other option for a wiring diagram the other option you may have is that the MH had an aftermarket DRL kit added on which is usuall required when US made vehicles are inported to Canada.

I previously indicated that the head light switch supplies power to pin 30 of the ICC relay because it looks like a ISO configuration relay and pin 30 is the switch common and the 2 pins above it are pin 87 and 87a are the normally open and normally closed contacts, the pins to the left and right are 85 and 86 which are the control coils terminals.  If the ICC relay was used to power the headlight circuit through the light switch when it is in the off position you would have  headlight lights come on when the relay is turned on like with the ignition but the headlight could be on hi beam or low beam depending on the Hi/Low switch position at the time.  Doesn't make sense to me but guess it could happen.  If that is the case there is more to that wiring diagram.
ZiggyH

2007 Revolution LE
C9