Author Topic: battery discharges  (Read 857 times)

Offline andybren

battery discharges
« on: October 17, 2016, 04:45:43 PM »
I have a 2007 coachman pathfinder diesel.  I have two 12 volt coach batteries, and two 12 volt motor batteries.  If I leave my coach parked for more that 8 days, the batteries will not start the engine.  I turn off the coach disconnect switch, however, I do not turn off the disconnect on the engine.  Any advise?

Offline Brett Wolfe

• Global Moderator
Re: battery discharges
« Reply #1 on: October 17, 2016, 06:44:15 PM »
andybren,

Welcome to the Diesel RV Club.

Could be several things:

I would suggest you start by fully charging the batteries and then have them load tested.  Most places that sell batteries will do this for free.

If batteries test good, next step is to determine what draws you have.  And you will need an ammeter to do this.
Will have to test both battery banks, as they supply different circuits.

The other option is to have some means of charging both banks.  Could be shore power, could be solar.

Offline andybren

« Reply #2 on: October 18, 2016, 11:53:48 AM »
I did have the batteries load tested and my dealer said they were fine.  While parked, there was only a few milliamps of draw on the batteries.  Is this a common problem among class A owners?  I have no way of plugging in, and I am currently investigating solar panels.

Offline Brett Wolfe

• Global Moderator
« Reply #3 on: October 18, 2016, 02:05:42 PM »
Yes, it is common to have a number of small amp draws on both battery banks.  Lots of computers that take a little power in "sleep mode".  They DO add up, and can draw down even a good bank in a week+.

Solar is a good choice-- size the panel(s) adequately for both banks, be sure you use a smart controller and that you have a means for charging both battery banks. Your coach may already have a BIRD (bi-directional relay) to charge the chassis battery when the house bank is above a certain voltage.  If not, you will need this or something similar.

Brett