Author Topic: New 9 pin Diagnostic Plug on 2017 Diesel Motorhomes  (Read 969 times)

Offline Tom Bernardi

New 9 pin Diagnostic Plug on 2017 Diesel Motorhomes
« on: November 17, 2016, 10:25:02 AM »
Just a heads up for anyone that has or is considering a 2017 motorhome, and already has the SilverLeaf VMSpc software and connectors for the 9-pin diagnostic plug.

The plug has been changed in 2017 to a new "green" Deutsch 500K twist-lock port (Don't ask me what all that means). While the port seems to look identical, it is slightly different and the old 9 pin plug will not work. Fortunately, I didn't try to shove it on with lots of force, I gave up, and called SilverLeaf, and, behold, there is a new plug assembly that can be purchased for about $30 and shipping.

Tom
Tom
2017 Newmar Dutch Star 4054 / Freightliner 450HP Cummins ISL / Blue Ox Avail / '17 Jeep Wrangler Sahara / Brake Buddy /
Silverleaf VMSpc w/Pressure Pro TPMS

Offline ziggyh

Re: New 9 pin Diagnostic Plug on 2017 Diesel Motorhomes
« Reply #1 on: May 18, 2017, 07:56:49 PM »
Tom, I think the 500k refers to the data rate speed, The CAN  Bus protocol has several different data rate specifications.
ZiggyH

2007 Revolution LE
C9

Offline Tom Bernardi

« Reply #2 on: May 19, 2017, 05:41:25 AM »
Ziggy - correct! 

AS an update, I have sent my "black box" back to SilverLeaf for firmware updates and there is still problems with the interaction between SilverLeaf VMSpc and the diagnostic plug data.  Last weekend I had the ABS and the air system on the coach totally shutdown on me while plugged in.  Disconnected and everything was fine.  SilverLeaf engineers are working on another update based on my experience. 
Tom
2017 Newmar Dutch Star 4054 / Freightliner 450HP Cummins ISL / Blue Ox Avail / '17 Jeep Wrangler Sahara / Brake Buddy /

Offline ziggyh

« Reply #3 on: May 22, 2017, 08:18:48 PM »
Tom, had a friend try and change his speedo to read Km/h from mph, he chose the wrong option and had changed the baud rate of the cluster from 500k to 250k.  That messed up ECM and TCM communication. The data protocols must match between devices in order for them to communicate properly.
ZiggyH

2007 Revolution LE
C9

Offline Tom Bernardi

« Reply #4 on: May 23, 2017, 05:55:00 AM »
Ziggyh,

I'm not that smart when it comes to my motorhome, but one thing I would NEVER do is mess around with onboard diagnostic systems. I go to Gaffney every year, so I will let the experts sort it out.  Hopefully, the SilverLeaf engineers will work out a solution - I really miss my VMSpc data....
Tom