Author Topic: Motor home stored for 8 years, fuel ?  (Read 923 times)

Offline wharris107

Motor home stored for 8 years, fuel ?
« on: April 01, 2017, 07:41:37 AM »
I recently inherited a 2002 Tiffen Phaeton from an elderly relative. The coach has been parked out doors in a fairly arid environment. The tank was left full of diesel fuel and it is unknown if any fuel additive was put in the tank, not that it would probably matter after 8 years. I put a biocide in the tank to shock any possible algae growth, however, with a full tank I am hoping for minimal growth. Any thoughts on whether to try and run this fuel or should it be drained? a very difficult and costly proposition. I have started the engine, possibly not a good idea but already done. The motor cranked and fired up right away and appears to idle normally. have not tried to drive yet. Also there is no one in my area that does fuel polishing.

Thanks, Bill
Albuquerque NM

Offline Brett Wolfe

• Global Moderator
Re: Motor home stored for 8 years, fuel ?
« Reply #1 on: April 01, 2017, 08:12:50 AM »
Bill,

Welcome to the Diesel RV Club.

Best advice is to SMELL the fuel-- at the fill port or drain some from the primary fuel filter.

If it smells OK, I would chance using it.  And, if you are not familiar with what is should smell like, drain a sample into a glass jar and take it to a diesel mechanic.

Would certainly plan on changing fuel filters, if not now, certainly after most of that tank is gone.

Offline wharris107

« Reply #2 on: April 01, 2017, 08:23:20 AM »
Thanks Brett! I was planning on picking up a few filters just in case. So far I have not been able to locate the fuel filter and what  I have been reading indicates that it is probable that there is only one filter. It appears that some owners have installed a second filter. Seems like it would be prudent to have a water separator type filter as well. I understand that later models have 2.

Thanks again!
Bill

Offline Brett Wolfe

• Global Moderator
« Reply #3 on: April 01, 2017, 12:06:34 PM »
Bill,

Call your chassis maker with your VIN.  They can tell you how many filters, where they are located and the correct part number (micron rating).

Offline wharris107

« Reply #4 on: April 01, 2017, 02:59:59 PM »
Thanks Brett! Its a Freightliner, I will give them a call.

Bill

Offline WILDEBILL308

« Reply #5 on: April 02, 2017, 07:03:24 PM »
While diesel stores better than gas, especialey the curent blend. I would add a double the recomended dose of Diesel Kleen to inprove the diesel in the tank. Having extra filters handey is a good plan. I would allso run the genarater while you are driving out this tank of diesel.
Once you have gone through atlest 3/4 of the diesel you could fill up and it should be fine.
I would plan on doing all your "anual" maintence after you get the old fuell run out. Change the oil and filters on both the main engine and the genarater. 
The outher problem you have is you need new tiers. Look at the date codes to see just how far past 8 years old they are.
Let us know how it is going and if you have any questions.
Bill
2003 Bounder 38N,300 HP 5.9 Cummins
Allison 3000MH Trans.Towing 2014 Honda CRV. Home base Fort Worth, Texas
A man who carries a cat by the tail learns something he can learn in no other way.
-Mark Twain-

Offline wharris107

« Reply #6 on: April 03, 2017, 06:46:46 AM »
Thanks Bill! Yep first thing on the agenda is a new set of tires. Probably get them on this week.
Bill

Offline WILDEBILL308

« Reply #7 on: April 09, 2017, 06:08:27 PM »
Thanks Bill! Yep first thing on the agenda is a new set of tires. Probably get them on this week.
Bill
Have you checked out FMCA's new Continental tire discount program? This along with the Michelin program.
Bill
« Last Edit: April 12, 2017, 06:34:42 PM by Brett Wolfe »
2003 Bounder 38N,300 HP 5.9 Cummins
Allison 3000MH Trans.Towing 2014 Honda CRV. Home base Fort Worth, Texas
A man who carries a cat by the tail learns something he can learn in no other way.
-Mark Twain-

Offline wharris107

« Reply #8 on: April 11, 2017, 06:10:16 AM »
Bill
Was not aware of the continental deal but had pretty much decided against putting Michelins back on it, they seemed a little to expensive for all the possible problems. I decided to give the Toyos a go, most people seem to be happy with them. Had them installed yesterday. Cost was 2180.00 including mount, balance, disposal fee and tax. We will see.

Bill

Offline LJ2654

« Reply #9 on: April 12, 2017, 08:28:16 AM »
Wow, that was a great deal you got on the Toyo's! Where did you purchase them if you don't mind?

Offline wharris107

« Reply #10 on: April 12, 2017, 03:54:06 PM »
AB tire co. in Albuquerque NM

Offline wharris107

« Reply #11 on: August 12, 2017, 03:27:57 PM »
Followup post, I had the oil changed and all routine maintenance done locally by a reputable diesel shop. The mechanic said he would keep fuel filters handy but would go ahead a run the old fuel. I have since driven it all out and put in fresh fuel. No problems and it ran fine.
Bill