Author Topic: Biodiesel in cat 330  (Read 435 times)

Offline franz420

Biodiesel in cat 330
« on: June 07, 2017, 05:40:58 AM »
Hello everyone,

This is my first post and I'm still on a learning curve with forum posting in general, so bare with me. I have a Cat 330 3126b in my 2001 Fleetwood Discovery. We are new to Rv'ing and we just finished a trip from Atlanta Ga to Houston Texas, and back. When filling up at Flying J, Pilot, and Love's, I noticed that they were all Biodiesel up to B15. I've read in casual browsing that Biodiesel is causing problems in older engines. Has anyone noticed a difference in power, fuel mileage, gummed up filters, etc? Any advice on where to fuel up, or any additives? What should I look out for as far as leaks? I know it's a broad group of questions. I've searched the internet and most of the posts are from 10-15 years ago. I'm trying to find some newer input and advice. Thanks in advance for any help!

Offline Brett Wolfe

• Global Moderator
Re: Biodiesel in cat 330
« Reply #1 on: June 07, 2017, 06:20:27 AM »
franz420,

Welcome to the Diesel RV Club.

Yes, bio diesel is here to stay-- today mostly because of state legislatures.  The percent, as the pump sticker say is UP TO XXX.

Biodiesel has less BTU's per gallon, so power and MPG are off slightly.

Biodiesel is a "super-cleaner".  So, if your fuel system has gunk in it, it will clean it out.  That leads to clogged fuel filters.  So that is really what you need to concentrate on. Check the fuel filters, and if you see debris, change them.

Offline franz420

Re: Biodiesel in cat 330
« Reply #2 on: June 07, 2017, 02:05:50 PM »
Thank you for the reply and information!