Author Topic: Water/methanol injection system  (Read 187 times)

Offline Charlie/Susie

Water/methanol injection system
« on: July 17, 2017, 01:03:07 PM »
Has anyone installed a water/methanol injection system on their MH? If so what was the outcome. I'm considering one if there is a benefit. Thanks fellow MH'ers.

Offline trekker01

Re: Water/methanol injection system
« Reply #1 on: July 19, 2017, 06:00:43 AM »
Charlie,
A quick search for "methanol" shows only 3 previous discussions in the past 10 years, with the newest being in 2015.  What engine are you dealing with, and what are you trying to accomplish?  With 255/70R22.5 tires I suspect it is a motorhome.

Gary
'98 Safari Sahara 300hp CAT 3126B
Gary
1998 Safari Sahara 300 Cat

Offline Charlie/Susie

« Reply #2 on: July 21, 2017, 04:42:44 PM »
trekker01,  Yes ,I just bought a 2005 38n Fleetwood bounder with the cummins 300hp common rail turbo diesel. I read that this injection system can add HP and keep EGT's down when climbing grades. Since the coach does not have a boost or EGT gauge the system can alleviate any concerns esp. if you have a toad.

Offline WILDEBILL308

« Reply #3 on: July 23, 2017, 07:26:38 PM »
trekker01,  Yes ,I just bought a 2005 38n Fleetwood bounder with the cummins 300hp common rail turbo diesel. I read that this injection system can add HP and keep EGT's down when climbing grades. Since the coach does not have a boost or EGT gauge the system can alleviate any concerns esp. if you have a toad.
Well actually no it can't. If you don't have a boost and EGT  gage you are just guessing.
I have both EGT and Boost gages + a Bank's water/meth injection system. I WOULD NOT RECOMMEND the Bank's system. I spent all last summer trying to get it to work reliably. I never had it work through a whole tank of diesel so I don't know if it helped milage. When it was working it did tend to keep EGT temps down some but you could still see high temps on a long hill. I am on my 5th controler and 4th pump.
I even offered to take it to one of their local "certified installers" When I suggested the one in my area they declined saying "We don't think he has enough experience" The outher thing you will find is it uses a lot of windshield washer fluid or water. In one short time I had it working. From the LA area to Needles it used 15 gal of fluid. You still need to downshift if the temps get to hi.
Ok enough rant. I could go on for a long time :D.
Bill

2003 Bounder 38N,300 HP 5.9 Cummins
Allison 3000MH Trans.Towing 2014 Honda CRV. Home base Fort Worth, Texas
A man who carries a cat by the tail learns something he can learn in no other way.
-Mark Twain-