Author Topic: changing hyd fluid in leveling system  (Read 128 times)

Offline Charlie/Susie

changing hyd fluid in leveling system
« on: July 23, 2017, 07:01:29 PM »
Just changed the hyd fluid in the jack leveling canister in my '05 Bounder. Ran into two problems; 1. manual didn't say how much fluid the system takes, 2. Fill plug does not have a dip stick. Manual says to fill cylinder to bottom of fill neck. Fill plug has a 1" hex head and the drain plug was 11/16". Drained fluid into gal. milk jugs, filled 1& 1/2 gal. jugs so that gave me a starting amount. Had to tie some elec. out of the way. Another problem arose when I found out there was not enough room to get a quart jug of ATF up to the fill tube. Since must all quart bottles use the same size and thread pitch cap ( oil, gear oil, ATF ) I took the cap from a 80w90 dif.gear oil quart which has a 1-1/4 " nipple and screwed it onto the ATF bottle, fit perfectly. Now I could turn the bottle upside down and stick the nipple into the filler neck and squeezed in 6 quarts to start. Made a dip stick out of a Q-tip, bending it to the length of the fill tube. Filled and stuck the Q-tip in until the red ATF showed up on the tip of the Q-tip dip stick. took 6&1/2 qts. Worked out perfectly.   

Offline WILDEBILL308

Re: changing hyd fluid in leveling system
« Reply #1 on: July 23, 2017, 07:38:47 PM »
It is good to change the fluid so you have a base. Now run the jacks up and down a few times and recheck the level. In reality you can't overfill it if you add with the jacks up, just fill till it runs out of the fill hole. :D
The only real problem is if it gets low it will trigger an alarm that the jacks  are down. I have a funnel with a length of hose that will just fit into the opening so I can just pour the fluid in.
Bill
2003 Bounder 38N,300 HP 5.9 Cummins
Allison 3000MH Trans.Towing 2014 Honda CRV. Home base Fort Worth, Texas
A man who carries a cat by the tail learns something he can learn in no other way.
-Mark Twain-