Author Topic: Cat 3126e Oil Pan Installation Question  (Read 209 times)

Offline db

Cat 3126e Oil Pan Installation Question
« on: August 13, 2017, 11:02:11 AM »
I dropped the oil pan on my Cat 3126e in order to rehab the paint/rust and also change the gasket.

Bought a new gasket from Cat and they printed out a nice-looking page of instructions for me (Media number RENR1270-15) that shows the correct torque specs and tightening sequence, which is helpful.

The instructions also describe to apply sealant to four corners, as follows:

1. Apply 4C-9612 Silicone Sealant to four areas on the sealing surface of the oil pan.  The areas are marked location (3).  The areas are at the corners of the oil pan in the following locations:
   * Connecting joint of the front housing and the front of the cylinder block
   * Connecting joint of the flywheel housing and the rear of the cylinder block

(note: 4C-9612 crosses to Loctite SI-598 BK which I purchased a tube of)

My question is that these instructions do not actually make it clear whether the sealant should actually end up between the PAN and GASKET, or between the GASKET and BLOCK.

The key, and unclear, words here are "sealing surface".

The problem area is that there is a slight seam where the engine block joins its front and rear housings.  So to me, it seems like the sealant should end up between the GASKET and BLOCK, which would imply that it should be applied either to the top of the gasket or to the "engine block side" (where there are seams), not on the "pan side" (which is nice and uniform).

I will also note that when cleaning off the old gasket material, I did scrape off some silicone sealant from the block side (seemingly installed by the factory because I haven't dropped the pan before and have owned this since new).

Seemingly minor issue, but since the whole point of this exercise is to eliminate leaks, I'd like to make sure to get it right, so any comments will be helpful.

Thanks!

Offline ziggyh

Re: Cat 3126e Oil Pan Installation Question
« Reply #1 on: August 14, 2017, 06:42:30 PM »
You are correct in thinking it is to seal the area on the block where the covers are.  The pan has flat surface with no joints so the gasket shouldn't have any issues sealing. I would put the sealant on the block. That's my own opinion.
ZiggyH

2007 Revolution LE
C9

Offline db

Re: Cat 3126e Oil Pan Installation Question
« Reply #2 on: August 15, 2017, 08:02:19 AM »
Thanks for the reply, Ziggy. 

I also got through to the Cat hotline yesterday, and they also confirmed that the sealant belongs on the block side.  He seemed unconcerned that their instructions were unclear (and in fact imply the opposite unless you apply a tortured parsing of the language) but at least the question is resolved for me.  If they'd just rewrite that section slightly and actually mention the gasket, it could be completely clear, but that's not my business...