Author Topic: Generator fuel filter  (Read 2110 times)

Offline Captpar

Generator fuel filter
« on: September 25, 2017, 08:00:38 PM »
I’m changing my gen fuel filter myself for the first time. Any advice on how to prevent fuel from drenching me while disconnecting the old filter and hooking up the new .

Offline Brett Wolfe

• Global Moderator
Re: Generator fuel filter
« Reply #1 on: September 26, 2017, 05:26:54 AM »
Though I don't care for this method, some use a soft-jawed vice grip on the rubber line.  I don't care for it because it can damage the line, particularly if older and more brittle.

Another method is to remove the fuel line anywhere it is accessible and plug it-- used to do it that way on car fuel lines. Remember using golf tees. What you use depends on the ID of the line.

Offline Tom Bernardi

« Reply #2 on: September 26, 2017, 09:39:30 AM »
Another choice would be something like this:
https://www.amazon.com/OEMTOOLS-25379-Medium-Fuel-Clamps/dp/B004FELK2E/ref=sr_1_13?ie=UTF8&qid=1506443809&sr=8-13&keywords=fuel+line+clamp

Be real careful getting the fuel filter lines off - at least one of them is not a standard wrench size and is very difficult to remove. (Ask me how I know - grin!)

Tom
2017 Newmar Dutch Star 4054 / Freightliner 450HP Cummins ISL / Blue Ox Avail / '17 Jeep Wrangler Sahara / Brake Buddy /
Silverleaf VMSpc w/Pressure Pro TPMS

Offline Captpar

« Reply #3 on: September 26, 2017, 11:53:43 AM »
Thanks for the advice. Leaning toward getting another set of hands under there to hold thumb on lines until I can reconnect them.

Offline Brett Wolfe

• Global Moderator
« Reply #4 on: September 26, 2017, 04:02:26 PM »
Yup, thumb (assume with glove)= plug in end of fuel line.

But, may cost you a beer/bottle of wine, etc.