Author Topic: roof sealers  (Read 849 times)

Offline Charlie/Susie

• Viet Nam vet 1968-1972
roof sealers
« on: November 08, 2017, 06:35:39 PM »
just washed my roof and found cracks in several areas where sealant was used. My question is , since the sealant is old should I remove all the old stuff and reseal everything or just seal the cracks? What sealing product would be recommended? Also, can I use a bleach solution for removing mold without hurting the roof material? I know this is a lot but that's why I'm called a Newbe. Thanks

Offline antiqueclockservice

Re: roof sealers
« Reply #1 on: November 09, 2017, 05:27:44 AM »
My take on the roof sealant cracking is to remove the loose and cracked sealant and apply Eturnabond tape over the entire area.  This tape is pricey and available at RV stores.  Works well.  As far as the roof material, I think you should avoid bleach.  The RV stores selll special roof cleaning products and that would be your best bet in my opinion...
Best,
Phil

Offline LJ2654

« Reply #2 on: November 10, 2017, 06:44:40 AM »
Dicor makes a great roof cleaner. I wash my roof once a year and check the sealant for cracks. Last year I used eternabond over all the main joints on the front and rear cap seams. i works great and should be good for quite a while.

Offline RSBILLEDWARDS

« Reply #3 on: November 12, 2017, 06:41:52 PM »
Ethernabond tape is pricey only at Camping World or other RV retail locations. It is half the cost at building supply locations. Recently I bough a short roll for a friend in Prosser, Washington at an RV retail store. It was in my opinion half the weight of the last roll I bought at Camping World. Educate yourself as to what it should be in thickness. Home Depot or Lowes has it in 6 inch wide rolls. The material is commonly used in new window installations. How it is installed, applied to the surface is also very important. Roll it with a narrow roller or instrument to get full adhesion in multiple directions

Bill Edwards 

Offline Charlie/Susie

• Viet Nam vet 1968-1972
« Reply #4 on: November 13, 2017, 01:40:29 PM »
Thanks, sounds like the jury is in for Eternabond. Will research the thickness and application for my needs. Thanks again for all your responses.  Charlie.

Offline WILDEBILL308

« Reply #5 on: November 14, 2017, 08:31:45 AM »
I am more old school. I remove the bad sealant and clean the surface and re apply Dicor earthier the self leveling of non self leveling on vertical or sloped surfaces. You still need o clean the surface to apply the Eternabond tape. I  also mask the area  to get a better looking sealant job.
Bill
2003 Bounder 38N,300 HP 5.9 Cummins
Allison 3000MH Trans.Towing 2014 Honda CRV. Home base Fort Worth, Texas
A man who carries a cat by the tail learns something he can learn in no other way.
-Mark Twain-