Author Topic: Original Engine Build  (Read 1699 times)

Offline trekker01

Original Engine Build
« on: November 13, 2017, 09:07:43 AM »
I phoned the CAT support line (877-777-3126) to get as built information on my engine, which was sold originally as a 3126B with 300HP, in a Safari Sahara, in May 1998.  Engine was built in January 1998, and the ECM was flashed (according to CAT) in July 1998.  I purchased the coach a year ago from the original owner.  I was told they can not provide information about the specific engine, other than when built, and a flash 6 months later.

I am using Silverleaf's VMSpc and have noticed the ECM reported miles is between 30 and 35% less than the odometer, but speedometer, ECM reported speed, and GPS shown speed are less than 2% apart between the highest and lowest of the three, so I don't understand such a significant difference between ECM and odometer mileage.  CAT could only suggest I take it to a CAT dealer to hook up to the ECM and determine if it is the original.  I saw on one of the Adept Ape YouTube videos that dealers can do a "Warranty Download" (generally for free?).

CAT says my engine never had the warranty activated, and they do not know who the first owner was.  Guess the buyer was assuming the coach maufacturer or selling dealer had taken care of that?

In any case, what can I get (if anything) from CAT relating to the original engine testing before it was sold to the coach maker?  What can I get from a dealer?  Guess I need to know what to ask for.   
Gary
1998 Safari Sahara 300 Cat

Offline Brett Wolfe

• Global Moderator
Re: Original Engine Build
« Reply #1 on: November 13, 2017, 10:31:12 AM »
Gary,

Been a decade since I called Caterpillar Corp for dyno info on one of their engines.  But, at that time, they freely shared that information.

As far as discrepancy between engine-recorded mileage and actual/speedometer, wonder if the Caterpillar computer has an incorrect rear axle ratio entered.  Again, that is speculation on my part.

Offline trekker01

Re: Original Engine Build
« Reply #2 on: November 13, 2017, 05:05:58 PM »
Brett,
The ECM is reflecting reasonably close speed on my VMS screen (within 2 mph @ 60 mph), and the ECM miles are moving in conjunction with the odometer as well.  I could see a couple percent variance, but the ECM is showing around 58,000 miles while the odometer is around 84,000 miles.  CAT has no record of the ECM ever being changed out, but says it was "flashed" approximately 2 months after the coach was originally sold, and the owner at the time shows the first service on the coach was performed 3 months later, when the only service was engine and transmission fluids and filter changes along with a lube, at around 5600 miles after factory build.  Owner records show ECM (recorded as electronic control module) was replaced under warranty at 26,000 miles, 3 years after he purchased it.  That 26,000 miles appears to be the approximate difference between ECM reported miles and odometer, so looks to me like the installing garage failed to set to current mileage at the time.  Funny that CAT knows nothing about that, or maybe they were giving me info from a different engine in some other coach?  New ECM apparently carried a March 2000 soft/firmware version. 

Guess I need to call CAT back tomorrow and see if someone different may give me different results.
Gary
1998 Safari Sahara 300 Cat