Author Topic: Caterpillar C7 needs new waterpump  (Read 4613 times)

Offline zagracing

Caterpillar C7 needs new waterpump
« on: November 20, 2017, 09:31:00 AM »
Hey Folks,

The paint on the old pump is so flakey and the pump is so hard to get to that it is impossible to read any of the part numbers on it. My motor is the C7 I suspect as it is a caterpillar 275 on a 1998 rig.

I don't want to pull the pump off until I get a replacement and I have found a great deal on a Cat reconditioned one that looks identical and is spec' for the C7, 3126 engines. Is there a possibility of a gotcha on buying this pump? If the pump actually looks identical, are there any potential differences or changes over the years that would make the pump not compatible with an older C7?

I want to get this thing moving so I need help asap.
It's listed as a OR-1011 for 3126 and 3126B engines

Bernie

Offline Brett Wolfe

• Global Moderator
Re: Caterpillar C7 needs new waterpump
« Reply #1 on: November 21, 2017, 07:15:52 AM »
Being a 1998, it will not be  a C7, but some variation of the 3126.

An issue with many mechanical components today (not just Caterpillar) is the "replaces" parts.  So, while a part could "replace" an OE quality item, it may not be up to OE quality specs.

With the difficulty of accessing the water pump, idler pulley and belt on the 3126 in a rear radiator configuration, I would sure not take a chance that a "replaces" XXX was as good as OE.

Offline zagracing

« Reply #2 on: November 21, 2017, 08:12:08 AM »
I seem to be constantly challenged with this engine and its parts.

Yeah, its a huge PITA to get to just about anything on that motor and you certainly want it right the first time. Luckily, I am also in the middle of finishing off a complete rebuild of the chassis air conditioning so yanking the compressor off there is no problem (replacing it anyway).

I ended up finding another seller with a brand new Cat water pump and went for that deal.
At 170.00 shipped to my door, I thought it was a great deal based on regular pricing I see online.
Going the full distance with this and replacing pretty much all auxiliary parts (water pump, hoses, thermostats, belts, idlers, tensioner, etc. ) Might as well do this once. Even got myself a couple of quarts of Cat yellow paint so I can make it look pretty in there again. For some reason, my engine is really flaked in the yellow paint department and looks horrible. I believe it must have spent some time near a beach

Offline WILDEBILL308

« Reply #3 on: November 21, 2017, 08:55:54 AM »
Some times it is cheaper to buy the original parts and not have to do it over. It sounds like you are doing it right.
Bill
2003 Bounder 38N,300 HP 5.9 Cummins
Allison 3000MH Trans.Towing 2014 Honda CRV. Home base Fort Worth, Texas
A man who carries a cat by the tail learns something he can learn in no other way.
-Mark Twain-

Offline zagracing

« Reply #4 on: November 21, 2017, 10:54:30 AM »
Some times it is cheaper to buy the original parts and not have to do it over. It sounds like you are doing it right.
Bill

Sometimes yea and for certain things.
I do favor being very frugal though and doing my research to find the best deals.

Interesting topic because I had a very open conversation with a guy who is a salesman at a local RV dealership - a big one.
He came clean in telling me that the RV retailers, services centers, etc., are actually doing what I anticipated and that is milking the retired
folks dry on service. Yeah, that was alarming but he knew I did all my own work and we were just kinda joking around a bit. He was there to buy something I had up for sale and had my RV at my house doing work on it. He gave me his business card and after we opened up a bit, he started spilling the beans. This is a reputable shop too, not some back road bunch.

I guarantee you that any job that most pay through the nose for at a service center, I am doing it myself for 1/4 that cost. Not only the fact that I am doing the labor but I am also sourcing the parts and most importantly, not throwing in a bunch of unnecessary work which is what this guy was touting as the tactic used in the back. He said he didn't feel to bad about it because if you pull in with a rig worth north of 350K, whats a few grand in service to you.

Offline Brett Wolfe

• Global Moderator
« Reply #5 on: November 21, 2017, 11:04:41 AM »
Bernie,

You will find that quite a lot of us here at the Diesel RV Club do our own service work as well.

Many DECADES of hands-on diesel pusher service experience on here.
« Last Edit: November 21, 2017, 12:09:22 PM by Brett Wolfe »

Offline antiqueclockservice

« Reply #6 on: November 21, 2017, 11:12:55 AM »
I do my own work mainly because when I am done, I know it is done right.

best,
Phil
Best,
Phil

Offline WILDEBILL308

« Reply #7 on: November 21, 2017, 05:24:19 PM »
I do all my own work and most of the time I can get it running afterwards. ;D
Bill
2003 Bounder 38N,300 HP 5.9 Cummins
Allison 3000MH Trans.Towing 2014 Honda CRV. Home base Fort Worth, Texas
A man who carries a cat by the tail learns something he can learn in no other way.
-Mark Twain-

Offline zagracing

« Reply #8 on: November 28, 2017, 08:52:38 AM »
Well gents,

Looks like I will be making the big dive into the cooling system here.
With all of the possibilities of issues with blocked radiators, CAC's, old hoses, etc, I decided that I want to do this once and do it as best as it can be done. The cost to have it done at a shop are just way too high and I know it will be a huge pain but maybe I can learn some tricks along the way and the money saved from the labor can go into hard parts.

My goal is to pull all of the cooling system parts off the rig and inspect the radiator and CAC and have them professionally cleaned inside and out.
While those parts are off getting the good stuff done to them, I will set about doing all the rest.
So I have a couple of ideas which may or may not make a difference and this stuff might deviate from the norm but since it's my old rig, I have no issues with doing this stuff.

1) I am wondering about building a collapse able bed/engine cover? The idea is to build a bed deck out of three pieces that are hinged to fold up against the wall and clamp in place. This removes the cover completely out of the way and hopefully provides greater, constant access to the engine when I need it. Thankfully, my cooling system doesn't have anything hidden away in closets, etc. I just need access through the bed deck.
2) Ok, this one sounds a little radical but there is a reason I can do it. The previous owner did some extensive damage to the left rear of the rig by jack-knifing his trailer into it. It's all been shored up and I was getting close to doing the final bodywork and repaint but now I am starting to look at this radiator and CAC access and the amount of man hours required to get that stuff in and out. I don't have a design yet but the concept is a removable back section on the RV. Basically, cut out the entire piece of fiberglass on the back cap below the radiator and set it up so that I can use Dzus fasteners or similar to remove that lower piece entirely. I figure with that piece removed, access to the radiator and associated parts becomes a lot easier and I can reinstall those parts with a better attention towards how they come out in the future. I'm still learning all the ins and outs of working on Diesel engines but I am a very decent mechanic and can fix, modify or swap just about anything there is as long as I have the tools and the access.
3) Cat wants a premium for their parts and we all know that. I was looking at their hoses, clamps and tubes and decided that I have a better place to put that money and that is in aftermarket silicon and aluminum tubing. I have used this stuff for years on our race bikes and on a few Turbo applications and there is definitely no substitute for these parts. They are designed around forced induction so very high pressures and temps are acceptable and on top of that it will look the business when I am done. I am going to canvas the parts today but on the surface it looks like some simple bent tubes and hoses and a bung or two welded in for sensors. Add to that some nice T-bolt hose clamps I will get there and probably for less than what the original parts would cost from Cat. For anyone who may read this and consider going the same route, I give one word of caution and that is to buy from a company that makes the stuff in the USA and for high performance applications. There are plenty of Chinese made silicon hoses out there but there is no guarantee of quality so who knows what QC and testing has been done on their parts. I found a company called HPS that specializes in this stuff and that's who I will be dealing with but there are plenty of American companies who make these types of hoses and tubes for high performance Turbo applications.
4) I already have a new water pump ready and I am heading to Caterpillar today to get the seals required as well as a new regulator and any necessary gaskets to complete the work.

I have taken on herculean tasks like this before and they aren't pretty. The access to anything on these rigs is horrible and you spend the entire time living in cramped spaces to do anything. My fingers are crossed that I won't get into any seized or broken bolts and can get all the stuff off the rig for eval, recondition and replacement. It's hard to believe how ratty this engine looks with only 60K on it so I am taking this to a new level and by the time I am finished, I hope to have a motor that I am proud to show off to anyone who wants to look at it.