Author Topic: fuel leak?  (Read 437 times)

Offline BlueFlame

fuel leak?
« on: February 13, 2018, 11:05:25 AM »

I have a super C built on a 2004 Freightliner Columbia CL120 class 8 truck chassis.  It has a Mercedes Benz MBE4000 12.8 L engine.  In the attached photos I have included a picture of the truck tag (VIN), the engine data tag, and an injector tag.  I also included three views, at different distances, of the problem.

I noticed a slight discoloration on the side of the engine for some time but didn't know what the problem was.  Recently after a long trip I noticed that the side of the engine was slightly wet (never saw this before, leads me to believe the problem is getting worse).  Looking more closely I saw a drip on the bottom of the plastic shroud that covers the injectors.  When I removed the front part of the shroud I could see the front injector (nearest to the front of the engine) was the only one discolored, as seen in the attached pictures.

So I'm looking for advice on possible problems/fixes.  I'm quite capable mechanically but don't know much about diesel engines specifics, so I wanted advice before I started putting wrenches on things.  Should I try tightening the fuel line connector?  To what torque?  Are fuel leaks common?  Is this a sign the injector is going bad and needs replacing?  Basically where should I start and what do I need to do, or is this a give up and see your local mechanic problem?

Any advice or suggestions would be appreciated,
James Goeke

Online David.e.atherton

Re: fuel leak?
« Reply #1 on: February 13, 2018, 06:53:03 PM »
Blue Flame, your engine has a history of injector lines cracking at the nut that
connects to the injector. The steel injector fuel lines being very short are under
stress when tighting. Going deeper into the problem would recommend buying
and replacing all the injectors lines. Ask Dave. Dave Atherton Retired Cat Mechanic