Author Topic: Freightliner Chassis XCM-alignment problems & tire wear  (Read 1165 times)

Offline captaincynic

Freightliner Chassis XCM-alignment problems & tire wear
« on: November 22, 2017, 01:32:09 PM »
We have a 2015 Fleetwood Expedition 41X -freightliner ADL v ride rear suspension
At about 24k miles, I noticed abnormal wear pattern on the outside tread only of both front tires & an increasingly very bumpy ride.  on e had an upcoming appointment for annual service, so I called Gaffney for advise.
 The technician said it sounded like normal wear on a Goodyear tires. He suggested that we let some air out of the tires to help even out the wear a bit, I guess. We had weighed our coach and always kept the tires inflated per the recommendations in the manual, but we let a little air out of both front tires as he suggested. It did not seem to make a difference.
 I updated our appointment to include examination of the tires & an alignment if they thought it was necessary.
 At Gaffney, the tech said that the tires were not unsafe and rotating and aligning it would not be beneficial. No other suggestions were made……
On our trip back to Florida on good roads that felt like washboard because of the tires, we decided to take the coach to a tire dealership to evaluate the situation. Goodyear denied that this wear was normal for these tires. They also said the tires were safe, however because the ride was horrible, we replaced the two front tires and had the alignment checked. . They said there was no adjustment they could do to correct what might have been responsible for the tire problem.
 The thrust angle on the real Axle is off by -23 degrees. The tire tech suggested it might be a problem with the bushings behind the rear axle. Does anyone out there know if this would be something connected a possible problem with the V-ride suspension?

Is this something that can be fixed? We are asking first here, because our neighbors at Gaffney with a 2017 motorhome on a v-ride chassis were there to have the v-ride repaired because of some problems that were happening on some of those chassis. Just trying to get info so we have a better idea about possible problems and solutions. We were not at all impressed with our experience at Gaffney. We felt that they should have suggested some solutions instead of simply blaming Goodyear.
 Vickie and Jon

Offline ziggyh

Re: Freightliner Chassis XCM-alignment problems & tire wear
« Reply #1 on: November 22, 2017, 05:12:19 PM »
Are your tires g670 series, if they are try a search on "Goodyear tire revering"

Has the wheel balance been checked?

Some tire wear patterns once worn on a tire will take many miles to wear off once the root cause is corrected.

ZiggyH

2007 Revolution LE
C9

Offline antiqueclockservice

« Reply #2 on: November 23, 2017, 06:23:20 AM »
The Goodyear Tires have a condition called tread squirm.  They grind themselves into the pavement as the tread rotates.  This results in uneven wear and ultimately terrible ride.  A change to another tire manufacturer will in most cases resolve the problem.
Best,
Phil

Offline WILDEBILL308

« Reply #3 on: November 23, 2017, 08:23:36 AM »
"The thrust angle on the real Axle is off by -23 degrees. The tire tech suggested it might be a problem with the bushings behind the rear axle. Does anyone out there know if this would be something connected a possible problem with the V-ride suspension?"
That definitely sounds like a problem. Did Gaffney put it on a machine or just guess that it was the tires? I bet some where in your stack of paperwork it says you should get a all wheel aliment done after you are loaded for travel. Adding weight to your coach changes the geometry of the suspension.
On my old XC chassis they had to cut the locaters on the rear axel and relocate them because it was off. I am pretty shure it was a lot less than -23 degrees.
Yes part of the problem could be the Goodyear tires as they have a history of problems.
Let us know what you find out.
Bill

2003 Bounder 38N,300 HP 5.9 Cummins
Allison 3000MH Trans.Towing 2014 Honda CRV. Home base Fort Worth, Texas
A man who carries a cat by the tail learns something he can learn in no other way.
-Mark Twain-

Offline captaincynic

« Reply #4 on: November 24, 2017, 11:24:06 AM »
Thanks everyone.
No, Gaffney did nothing with the tires except blame Goodyear and recommend doing nothing
I am thinking that this may be something that is done there to avoid a warranty repair (seems to sound like it may be a design defect)
We are/were insurance agents not a mechanical engineers, but we have come to be skeptical regarding anything the builders say. 
The three year warranty on some things is up the end of January.  I think they count on the majority of owners who do not travel many miles so that all warranties are expired prior to problems like this being revealed.  We have two brand new tires and are on the road all the time.

Again, beware of Gaffney.  Prior to going there we had heard nothing except praise so we were hesitant to question anything or even ask these questions afterward.  If nothing else, their recommendations were less than stellar.  Also, carefully review your invoice.  After we left, I found an overcharge of $75 on my invoice.  Maybe an honest accident, but on top of a couple of other things I do not care to get into, it made us re-evaluate our thoughts on their operation.

Offline antiqueclockservice

« Reply #5 on: November 25, 2017, 06:31:42 AM »
It appears to me that if the thrust angle is off by 23 degrees, there would be visual evidence that the axle is cocked relative to the chassis.  I was a Ford Light Truck Engineer for over 30 years.  Some of our prototypes had thrust angles that were off due to mislocated frame rail holes.  The angles we saw were around 2.5 °  Is there a decimal point missing in this post???? 
Best,
Phil

Offline ziggyh

« Reply #6 on: November 25, 2017, 07:15:33 AM »
Thrust angle specs do vary somewhat from different chassis, I would suspect that Phil is correct, a spec of 0 +- .08-.10 is what I would think is normal
Thrust angle will cause a vehicle to dog track, over steer in one corner and under steer in the opposite depending if the thrust is positive or negative. A positive thrust means the rear wheels are causing the vehicle to steer to the left causing the driver to correct by turning the steering wheel to the right It can also result in the steering wheel being of centered while driving straight ahead.
ZiggyH

2007 Revolution LE
C9

Offline RIch

« Reply #7 on: May 28, 2018, 07:36:28 PM »
If the thrust angle was indeed off by 23 degrees, the vehicle would not be driveable. It would literally go down the road at a 23 degree angle!

I suspect the real number is .23 degrees, which is enough to cause abnormal tire wear but would not necessarily be visible to the naked eye.