Author Topic: Failing Injector (code 164-11)  (Read 1338 times)

Offline Ken Carpenter

• Ken Carpenter, Jr.
  • Administrator
  • May your obstacles turn into stepping stones!
Failing Injector (code 164-11)
« on: January 09, 2018, 07:17:55 AM »
I’m losing power and getting a 164-11 code on my HEUI engine (3126/C7/C9). Help please.
2005 Winnebago Journey 39K, C7 350HP
Jeep Grand Cherokee, Airforce One
Diesel RV Club Officer & Board Member

Offline Ken Carpenter

• Ken Carpenter, Jr.
  • Administrator
Re: Failing Injector (code 164-11)
« Reply #1 on: January 09, 2018, 07:24:23 AM »
Here is Dave's reply:

When troubleshooting an injector related problem, service shops often remove the electrical connection but fail to check the connection or inspect the rubber boot that was designed to protect the connection. Since the connector is in the injector socket it gets soaked in hot engine oil, leading to failure at some point.

In the HEUI injection system, excess engine oil returns back to oil pan from top of the rocker assembly. Over time the little sealing boot that seals engine oil out of electrical connection at injector breaks down. The boot is only about ¼ inch and simply protects the interface where the connector is mated with the socket. The hot engine oil at the electrical connection pins can kill the electrical power to the injector. This will generate diagnostic code 164-11 (Injector Actuation Pressure Fault) on your Silver Leaf or Aladdin.  (This fault may be intermittent due to the electrical connection making and breaking). Many shops will replace the injector since the code indicates a failed injector without ever checking the electrical connection.
Once the boot has failed, it cannot be re-used. The rubber boots cannot be bought without buying a wiring harness for injectors, which can get expensive. CAT does not supply the boots on current engines.

There is an on-the-road repair that is fairly easy (and far less costly). Remove the valve cover to access the injectors and electrical connectors at each injector. Disconnect the connector as shown in the first picture. Apply spray on brake cleaner to clean and dry the connectors, especially the pins and sockets. Next slide 2 small O-rings over the connector on the right (in first picture). This should result in a tight fit when the plug mates to the socket. The O-rings need to be tight enough to seal the gap. Then replace the metal clip and use zip ties (will break down over time) or mechanic’s wire (preferred) to hold the clip in place by connecting the tie/wire across the 2 loops of the clip on either side below the connector.

It is suggested that if one injector fails you apply this fix to all injectors at that time. The injectors themselves are designed to run 300000 miles without problems. This repair should cost you less than $10 in parts.

Offline Ken Carpenter

• Ken Carpenter, Jr.
  • Administrator
« Reply #2 on: March 27, 2018, 08:22:03 AM »
I received a call from a couple last night reporting a problem with their coach and wanting to know how to contact Dave. I patched Dave in on the call - he was able to identify the problem and directed them to this post for pictures and guidance. A quick trip to Tractor Supply to purchase "O" rings and brake fluid and a couple of hours  of work after the engine cooled off the low cost repair was completed.  They called this morning to report they were back on the road and appreciate Dave's help and guidance. Thanks Dave.

Offline ziggyh

« Reply #3 on: March 27, 2018, 09:40:07 AM »
Has anyone tried using part # 2090629,   This number comes from cats field service kit for Deutsch DT connectors. 
ZiggyH

2007 Revolution LE
C9

Offline Ken Carpenter

• Ken Carpenter, Jr.
  • Administrator
« Reply #4 on: March 27, 2018, 02:01:54 PM »
Good morning Ziggyh, thank your suggestion on seals. The reason we use the o-rings instead Deutsch connectors
The o-rings holds up better than the Deutsch as the rectangular rubber boot breaks down on the injector connection.
Down in the states Caterpillar recommendation is install new injector wire harness REHS-1809 install procedure for
156-7106 Injector Wiring Harness. The problem at hand, The Deutsch rectangular rubber boot has been dropped from the
system. What we are talking about with Diesel club members ( the problem is on the road ) and extension of a caterpillar
field service repair less the mechanic, the owner gets up and running via: Ask Dave and Diesel Club which is saving members
extended time in repair shops at very dollar repairs. Again want to thank you for all your help and it is appreciated.
Dave Atherton Retired Cat Mechanic

Offline ziggyh

« Reply #5 on: March 27, 2018, 04:02:28 PM »
Hi, Ken, Dave.
I was curious if anyone had tried that part number as I'm not sure it would fit. It is just listed as a seal for a 2 pin Deutsch DT connecter in the Service kit.

I do understand the ease and cost of finding o-rings on the road.

Thanks.  Ziggy
ZiggyH

2007 Revolution LE
C9

Offline Ken Carpenter

• Ken Carpenter, Jr.
  • Administrator
« Reply #6 on: March 27, 2018, 05:02:52 PM »
Ziggy,

While I can understand your curiosity about the part but to me it’s a side bar question since the part has need discontinued by Caterpillar.

Ken