Author Topic: CAT C-7 ET Codes What to ask for?  (Read 2117 times)

Offline seeing the sights

CAT C-7 ET Codes What to ask for?
« on: March 11, 2018, 05:25:22 PM »
Hello, I plan on getting my 2006 Tiffin Phaeton CAT C-7 ET codes pulled.

My question is what do I ask for.   event, history.... what are the terms to use when I ask for the printed codes.  I believe the codes are printed. Thanks in advance for your help.  Joe

Offline ziggyh

Re: CAT C-7 ET Codes What to ask for?
« Reply #1 on: March 12, 2018, 05:27:19 PM »
You can ask for a product status report, it will give you active codes, logged events, logged codes and a list of configuration settings and a bit more.
If you like I can post one to see what you get.
ZiggyH

2007 Revolution LE
C9

« Reply #2 on: March 14, 2018, 09:50:38 AM »
Ziggy, Thanks for your reply. The information you gave me was just what I was looking for.

If you could post a copy of your product status report that would be appreciated.

I have a appointment to have my product status report printed on Monday the 19th.

Thanks, Joe   

Offline ziggyh

« Reply #3 on: March 15, 2018, 06:25:13 PM »
Joe the files attached are a sample of what is in a product status report.  I left out some of the pages related to the fuel totals.  In the section with the codes the clock hours on top of the section indicate the hours in the ECU when the print was done.  In the section with the codes it lists the codes and description with the number of times the it was logged, the hours in the ECU when it first occurs and the last time stamp it occurred.  In any of the sections where there is a Tattletale column tells you howmany times something was changed. As an example in the injector trim calibration section a 0 in the Tattletale column means the original file is being used, if there is a 1 or 2 that means that an injector was relaced 1 or 2 times.

If you have any question on the other data in the report I may be able to explain or someone else may be able
ZiggyH

2007 Revolution LE
C9

« Reply #4 on: March 17, 2018, 07:49:14 AM »
Thanks, I will keep you posted  going to get codes pulled Monday. Thanks, Joe

« Reply #5 on: March 20, 2018, 04:57:33 PM »
I had my Product Status Report ran yesterday with the following results

I am waiting on a E-mail from David Atherton

could be boost pressure solenoid related??

Thanks, Joe Brey

« Reply #6 on: March 20, 2018, 05:00:16 PM »
Forgot to add changed out both fuel filters about 30 hours ago and the fuel related faults are no longer active

Offline ziggyh

« Reply #7 on: March 20, 2018, 10:42:35 PM »
Low cranking fuel pressure can also come from suction side air leaks..  When changing filters and the system is not primed can log a few low cranking fuel pressure events.

Yes I would suspect a issue with the boost regulator valve, a sticking waste gate or valve on the turbo could also cause the issue. The code is a logged event meaning it is not an electrical problem. That condition for that code has to be present for about 15 minutes before it's logged.

The j1939 code means a module did not communicate on the data buss, can come from a module lost power or ground, unplugged or bad or a data buss wirring fault to a module.  I do not think it would be the Trans module,abs if equipped or instrument cluster because of the data that is shared on the buss and lack of communication from those modules would most likely generate other codes and noticeable symptoms.  You would need to know your network configuration to pinpoint where to start.

Post what you find.
ZiggyH

2007 Revolution LE
C9

Offline ziggyh

« Reply #8 on: March 22, 2018, 10:27:41 AM »
A little clarification on the boost event

The event is logged if the boost pressure is 4.4 psi below commanded for more the 8 seconds and the check engine light will come on if it is active for more than 15 minutes
ZiggyH

2007 Revolution LE
C9

« Reply #9 on: March 23, 2018, 11:27:13 AM »
Ziggyh, I plan on replacing the complete solenoid assembly 230-9944,  also exercise the waste gate.  Plan on redoing the O-rings to the injectors. I will be purchasing a silverleaf monitoring system.  Thanks for all the help, and David Atherton's knowledge is invaluable Thanks, Joe 

Offline ziggyh

« Reply #10 on: March 23, 2018, 03:34:28 PM »
Exercising the waste gate with 25 psi air pressure and checking for sticking is a good idea and would probably do that first before replacing the boost regulator valve but that's up to you.

Replacing the injector o-rings is not a hard job, there are a few things that can be tougher than expected. When pulling  out the injectors need to be carefull on how you pry/pull on them, the oil and fuel passage plugs can be stubborn to remove and be sure to check the seating area in the injector cups for carbon that could fall in. The injectors must go back into the same cylinder or you will need cat ET to transfer the injectors trim file to the new locations. 

If you like I can pm you some more info on the process of replacing the o-rings.

ZiggyH

2007 Revolution LE
C9

« Reply #11 on: March 23, 2018, 08:44:20 PM »
Ziggyh, The O-rings I am speaking about are the ones on the injector plug, electrical connection. Once again, Thanks for all your help, Joe

Offline ziggyh

« Reply #12 on: March 23, 2018, 10:36:55 PM »
Sorry for the misunderstanding.
ZiggyH

2007 Revolution LE
C9

Offline ziggyh

« Reply #13 on: March 24, 2018, 01:31:55 PM »
Are you able to find new connector seals.
ZiggyH

2007 Revolution LE
C9