Author Topic: Battery disconnect switch not working  (Read 1076 times)

Offline Charlie/Susie

• Viet Nam vet 1968-1972
Battery disconnect switch not working
« on: March 12, 2018, 10:20:07 AM »
Being a newbie I've learned a lot about my 2005 Bounder but the electrical system is still a mystery. The switch that disconnects the main batteries does not work. The aux ( or coach battery switch does work ). I was told that this condition will run down the engine batteries. Has anyone had the same problem? How did you fix it and can I do the repair myself? Any help is greatly appreciated !!       Thanks, Charlie.

Offline ziggyh

Re: Battery disconnect switch not working
« Reply #1 on: March 12, 2018, 03:49:07 PM »
Charlie/Susie, are you talking about the switch that night be located at the back of your motorhome.  If it is the one I'm thinking about it is easy to replace, could you post a picture of it to be sure.  If it is like the one I'm thinking about it is a high current switch. It's used to disconnect the chassis batteries for when the motorhome is left stored for a few weeks or more and may also prevent the use of the house batteries. I suspect it is stuck in the on position and you can't turn it off.  Again if it is what I'm thinking about it is seized, you might be able to spray some penetrating fluid on the shaft to see if it will free up.
ZiggyH

2007 Revolution LE
C9

Offline Charlie/Susie

• Viet Nam vet 1968-1972
« Reply #2 on: March 12, 2018, 04:43:53 PM »
Ziggyh,
    The switch is located in the front right overhead of the coach along with the aux , waterpump, a/c therm.,water heater and other switches so I guess there is another relay or solenoid somewhere. I'm not sure a pic will help you, it just looks like a switch panel. the lights come on when you turn the rocker switches on but the main light stays on even when you try to turn it off. Would you know where the high current thing is that I could spray penetrating oil on or maybe hit it with a big hammer?

Offline ziggyh

« Reply #3 on: March 12, 2018, 05:15:27 PM »
Sounds like you may not have a high current disconnect switch and that relays in a battery control box were used.  Might be best to email Fleetwood and ask them to email you a diagram, they have always been helpful that way.
I attached a picture of the switch that I thought you might be talking about.
ZiggyH

2007 Revolution LE
C9

Offline Charlie/Susie

• Viet Nam vet 1968-1972
« Reply #4 on: April 17, 2018, 07:55:08 PM »
Hey Ziggyh, you were right about the battery control box having the disconnects. I have a parasitic draw on the chassis batteries and when the battery voltage gets low the control module switches over to the coach batteries which drew them down. Had Fleetwood email a wiring diagram which was a great help. Charged both sets of batteries and both disconnects had enough voltage to work properly. Thanks for your advice, live and learn. Charlie.
« Last Edit: April 17, 2018, 08:40:55 PM by Charlie/Susie »

Offline ziggyh

« Reply #5 on: April 22, 2018, 08:08:06 PM »
Good to hear you got it solved.
ZiggyH

2007 Revolution LE
C9