Author Topic: radiator  (Read 3915 times)

Offline klparker

radiator
« on: March 28, 2018, 08:38:54 AM »
Have 2001 Itasca, freightliner xl, cat 330; how do you know if you need a new radiator or one that just needs a good flushing and new coolant?
My MH ran a little hot one time, has no fluid leaking.

Offline WallyNM

• Global Moderator
Re: radiator
« Reply #1 on: March 28, 2018, 10:30:30 AM »
 if it has never been cleaned. That would be the first step

Offline David.e.atherton

• Global Moderator
« Reply #2 on: March 28, 2018, 02:27:56 PM »
KLparker, I would suggest before spending money, first make sure radiator is clean on the
outside ( blowout dirt, leaves etc. and do the same to the Charge Air Cooler ). Use air and
Low pressure water. Second not knowing which engine you have, I would suggest changing
The engine thermostats again do not know what engine you have so you could have one or
two thermostats. It is standard maintenance recommend by Caterpillar to change out every
engine thermostats. If you can give me what model and serial number of your engine I can
Give you the part numbers for thermostats. This is first area I would go to first.
Ask Dave, Dave Atherton Retired Cat Mechanic

Offline Journey

« Reply #3 on: March 28, 2018, 07:24:02 PM »
  Dave not that I would ever doubt your statements but wouldn't that be the Cat C-7 7.2 liter 330hp.
2004 Journey 36G Cat C-7
1995 Jeep Wrangler

Offline Ken Carpenter

• Ken Carpenter, Jr.
  • Administrator
  • “To travel is to live.”–Hans Christian Andersen
« Reply #4 on: March 28, 2018, 08:15:29 PM »
The 2001 model had a Caterpillar 3126. The Cat 3126 is a 7.2 liter diesel engine offered in light to medium-duty ... It was replaced by the Caterpillar C7 in 2004.
2005 Winnebago Journey 39K, C7 350HP
Jeep Grand Cherokee, Airforce One
Diesel RV Club Officer & Board Member

Offline David.e.atherton

• Global Moderator
« Reply #5 on: March 28, 2018, 10:35:57 PM »
Journey, thanks for your concern on Caterpillar engines. One thing I would like to add
about Cat Engines. Each model engine when build and tested is assigned an Serial Number 
and arrangement number. Example Caterpillar C-7 ordering starter using just the
engine serial number, the parts counter may have choice of 8 starters and ask which one
would like because each one is different. Let’s go with the next choice, going to parts
Counter and ask for a starter for a Caterpillar C-7 Serial Number waxxxxxx and arrangement
number 147-4562. Parts counter man brings out one starter for engine arrangement number
and is the correct starter. It is real nice in responding to a post to having the type of engine
Serial number and arrangement if possible. Looking up technical information and getting
correct information to member posting problem. The engine model and serial number and
arrangement number is very important as I asked for in the above post. Looking at the 2001
Motorhome  with a 3126 Cat  depending on the serial number and build, the engine could be
Cat 3126 A model or Cat 3126 B model, both engines are 3126 but parts many parts are
Going to be different. This is why it is very important to provide along with post engine model
and serial number. Dave Atherton Retired Cat Mechanic

Offline Brett Wolfe

• Global Moderator
« Reply #6 on: March 29, 2018, 02:04:36 PM »
Absolutely, in the absence of a fluid leak, there is a VERY high likelihood that you have the front of the CAC blocked, materially diminishing air flow through the CAC and radiator (radiator is behind the CAC).

It can only be cleaned from the FRONT of the CAC (access from bedroom/closet.  The center will be clean due to the fan "slinging" dirt to the perimeter.  The perimeter must be cleaned-- annually is recommended. Use Simple Green EXTREME which is a degreaser designed for use with aluminum.  A messy job, but not complex.  When the effluent is clean, you are finished.

Yes, if this has never been done, likely you will have to have it pulled and cleaned, but try the cheap way first.

And, as Dave said the thermostats (Caterpillar calls them regulators) are a maintenance item and should be changed every three years or so.

Offline Charlie/Susie

• Viet Nam vet 1968-1972
« Reply #7 on: May 20, 2018, 05:44:01 PM »
Being a former aircraft mechanic, Brett is right about using aluminum safe cleaning products and Simple Green Extreme is a great cleaner. A gallon is about $24.00 and may need to be ordered because of its specialty use. The dilution ratios are printed on the container as a reference but you can use whatever ratio that gives you the best results. As Brett stated, rinse long and well . Charlie.
« Last Edit: May 21, 2018, 05:53:24 AM by Brett Wolfe »
Charlie and Susie
2005 Fleetwood Bounder 38N 5.9 cummins
2014 Corolla toad