Author Topic: Oil Report  (Read 514 times)

Offline Journey

Oil Report
« on: June 13, 2018, 08:19:38 PM »
  Got my blackstone lab back. Points to excess copper #37 on average of 4. I put 4600 miles on this motor oil. Maybe a bushing of some sort. They want to lab in 4500 miles again. Makes me nervous. 62000mi on 2004 C-7. Any ideas?   
2004 Journey 36G Cat C-7
1995 Jeep Wrangler

Offline Brett Wolfe

• Global Moderator
Re: Oil Report
« Reply #1 on: June 14, 2018, 06:26:30 AM »
OK, I contacted Tom Johnson, President of JG Lubricant Services-- a company that does oil analysis for a living. BTW, Tom was previously a Transmission Fluids Engineer at Allison Transmission.

Here is what he said:

Brett,
I looked at the post and it would be difficult to diagnose without actually seeing the reports.    I would want to look at total base number along with viscosity and contaminants in order to give my interpretation.   I would also want to see if there is lead along with the copper.    That would be more indicative of main bearing and/or connecting rod bushing wear.    See if you can get him to post the reports. 
« Last Edit: June 14, 2018, 06:57:31 AM by Brett Wolfe »

Offline ziggyh

« Reply #2 on: June 14, 2018, 10:02:44 AM »
I have 2 files that can provide information on fluid analysis
One is from CAT the other is from another lab.

ZiggyH

2007 Revolution LE
C9

Offline Journey

« Reply #3 on: June 14, 2018, 10:07:56 AM »
Can't get report to post. Lead, tin,nickel,magnesium,silver,barium all -0-
aluminum,cromium,iron all below average.
2004 Journey 36G Cat C-7
1995 Jeep Wrangler

Offline Brett Wolfe

• Global Moderator
« Reply #4 on: June 14, 2018, 11:14:32 AM »
Journey,

Sent you an e-mail with Tom's contact info so you can e-mail him the report directly.

Please let us know the results.

Thanks.

Brett
« Last Edit: June 14, 2018, 12:18:17 PM by Brett Wolfe »

Offline David.e.atherton

• Approved Forum Member
« Reply #5 on: June 15, 2018, 06:56:48 AM »
Journey, I would not get alarmed on your oil sample report. You do not have a big problem.
My suggestion retake a another oil sample. I have over the years have various oil samples
Return from lab with caution ( remember oil samples break down on part per million. ) many
time the way the oil sample taken and how has a very big bearing on the results. Change
Oil and pull another sample. Another point of interest oil samples from different labs there
Is not a spec standard between different sample labs. My suggestion if oil sample have been used on your engine than a base line has been set , next has all your oil samples been taken
By same oil lab such as Caterpillar each time. I do believe you will find using only Caterpillar
Oil sampling and the correct operation pulling oil sample you are not having any problems
Ask Dave,  Dave Atherton Retired Cat Mechanic

Offline Journey

« Reply #6 on: June 15, 2018, 08:14:46 AM »
  Thanks Brett, David, Ziggyh- Tom said with 0 lead not to panic keep up with samples. I'll keep on motoring and enjoying. 
2004 Journey 36G Cat C-7
1995 Jeep Wrangler

Offline WILDEBILL308

« Reply #7 on: June 18, 2018, 07:38:57 PM »
I agree with Dave.  One thing is you should never drain your oil before you get the report back. Never fill the sample bottle from the oil drain plug as you will get a bad/ false sample.
 Always use a sampling pump to get the sample. Never let the sampling tube hit the bottom of the pan as this will give you a false (contaminated) sample.
Bill
2003 Bounder 38N,300 HP 5.9 Cummins
Allison 3000MH Trans.Towing 2014 Honda CRV. Home base Fort Worth, Texas
A man who carries a cat by the tail learns something he can learn in no other way.
-Mark Twain-

Offline Brett Wolfe

• Global Moderator
« Reply #8 on: June 19, 2018, 05:46:01 AM »
Bill,

I disagree on where to take the sample-- I always do it mid-stream (when approximately 1/2 the oil has drained) in draining from the drain plug.

Offline WILDEBILL308

« Reply #9 on: June 19, 2018, 08:07:25 PM »
Yes some people have been sold on that method. I or you can demonstrate that that method is not as reliable or consistant. Simple take 3 samples and see if they match.
 You have too much chance in geting sludge and contaminants washed out of the bottom of the pan in your sample. You are also violating a very important part of the process. You should never drain your oil before you get the report back. If you get a report with a large anomaly / high reading you can't resample the oil. Now you are left wondering if it was a bad sample or do I realey have a problem. Changing the oil destroys the trend. If you have a suspicious sample/results you can re sample and see if the problem has gotten worse or has disappeared. Again if you have changed the oil your sample will mostlikley look good and you may realey have a problem and not know it.
There are only 2 ways to get a consistent sample, use a vacuum pump or a dedicated sampling port.
Bill
2003 Bounder 38N,300 HP 5.9 Cummins
Allison 3000MH Trans.Towing 2014 Honda CRV. Home base Fort Worth, Texas
A man who carries a cat by the tail learns something he can learn in no other way.
-Mark Twain-