Author Topic: Re: 06 Cat c7 barometric code only at high rpm plugged breather?  (Read 249 times)

Offline bachmani

I have a 07 Fleetwood Discovery that a barometric code comes on only at high speed and goes off at slower speed . I have changed the sensor same result.   I t has a Cat c7, wax 1 up motor with no active codes when scanned ? 

Offline David.e.atherton

• Approved Forum Member
Re: 06 Cat c7 barometric code only at high rpm plugged breather?
« Reply #1 on: June 15, 2018, 07:38:35 PM »
Gentleman, understand your problem about the atmosphere pressure sensor, Caterpillar
part number 161-1703 is part off group of ( 5 ) five volt sensor group that are all tied into
The engine ECM. Few things maybe been over looked in troubleshooting your problem.
First of all start and run engine at idle the atmosphere pressure should 14 psi and next the
Boost pressure sensor should read zero at idle. You silver leaf should show a event code
108-2 for the atmosphere pressure sensor. But when high high Rpm atmosphere pressure
sensor has a reading 14 psi. It is possible yes engine breather plugged but also there is
another twist, being part of group of 5 other 5 volt sensors that share the same common
signal wire to ECM. Need to look real close at the boost pressure sensor ( silver leaf event
code 102-7 ) this is a mechanical code related to turbo boost and wastegate opening. If
Problems occur the atmosphere pressure sensor number go down and boost pressure
go up. If atmosphere pressure sensor is bad engine will cut out and stop let sit for awhile
will start up and run. With the Group of 5 five volt sensors spec for electric voltage is 1/2
Volt plus or minus could be a short or ground  being all 5 sensors possibe feed back from
The boost pressure sensor. Ask Dave, Dave Atherton Retired Cat Mechanic