Author Topic: Adding Coolant  (Read 438 times)

Offline Captpar

Adding Coolant
« on: June 23, 2018, 02:03:42 PM »
Did the test strips and the  result was to drain out 2 gallons and add 2 gallon of concentrate. My question  after I drain the two gallons from the radiator peacock,can I just pour in the concentrate,or do I have to seal the gap  around the radiator cap where I have the funnel in and run the engine until the regulators kick in and suck the coolant from the funnel.

Offline Brett Wolfe

• Global Moderator
Re: Adding Coolant
« Reply #1 on: June 23, 2018, 02:50:29 PM »
Will probably sound flippant, but you will know when you try to add the 2 gallons.  Adding it slowly, if it all goes in, you are good to go.

If it doesn't all go in (same volume as you removed) then you will need to bleed the air from the system.  Many coaches have a line from thermostat housing to reservoir to do this automatically.

On my 1993 Foretravel with Caterpillar engine, I found that cracking open the coolant line to the air compressor at the thermostat housing was a great/easy way to bleed out the air.

Offline Captpar

« Reply #2 on: June 24, 2018, 06:32:54 AM »
Thanks for the advise.

Offline Captpar

« Reply #3 on: August 20, 2018, 04:47:36 AM »
New question  in  regards to above , when I drain from petcock is the coolant only coming from the radiator and what is the capacity of the radiator only  since I want to competely drain just the radiator and replace coolant .

Offline Brett Wolfe

• Global Moderator
« Reply #4 on: August 20, 2018, 08:29:22 AM »
No, the petcock will drain more than just the radiator.  It will drain most of the engine and some of the other parts of the cooling system (hoses to dash heater core, heater core and if you have it the motor-aid part of the water heater.

If you are getting into this much work, I would sure do the whole job and drain, flush and fill the whole system with new coolant.

Offline Captpar

« Reply #5 on: August 20, 2018, 02:17:33 PM »
Thank you