Author Topic: air leak 91 beaver Baronet  (Read 954 times)

Offline ontheroadagain

• Starting over late in life
air leak 91 beaver Baronet
« on: July 16, 2018, 09:25:29 AM »
I've got an air leak somewhere in the chassis.  air compressor is able to keep up for brakes and check valve keeps it from leaking from tank that holds air for brakes... 2nd tank is for air throttle and air shifter and horn and airbags if I have any... that one bleeds down as soon as I turn the engine off... have anought air pressure to operate throttle and shifter on the road..using the air horn twice or 3 times uses up all the air in the tank if engine isn't running...3 days ago I had nothing at all could not get enough pressure after an hour of running the engine to move it...finally got it near an air hose.. put 125lbs of air in tank 2x each time by the time I got back inside it was gone..no sounds of leaks...3rd time it must have blown some dirt out of a check valve or something as I had enough to move motorhome still has very low air pressure in tank maybe 20 lbs    any ideas where its going quietly??  also do I have an air ride chassis?  its a Gillig chassis
91 Beaver Baronet... 01 Dodge diesel 4x4  04 Ram SRT10

Offline antiqueclockservice

Re: air leak 91 beaver Baronet
« Reply #1 on: July 16, 2018, 06:24:48 PM »
It sounds like you might have an air dryer,purge valve assembly that failed.  Mine is a Haldex on my 05 Alfa.  It should be enough of a leak to hear it under the coach.  Good luck

best,
Phil
Best,
Phil

Offline David.e.atherton

• Global Moderator
« Reply #2 on: July 16, 2018, 10:32:17 PM »
On the road again, agree with top post ( air dryer ). With age of motorhome the air
Compressor unloaded valves sticking and not allowing air pressure to recover very
fast. Dave Atherton Retired Cat Mechanic

Offline ontheroadagain

« Reply #3 on: August 03, 2018, 12:39:10 PM »
Im having the same problem had It happen once before at home did the air blowing thing  then on my trip to mich I had to jam on the brakes and lost the throttle...idled over to the shoulder and called good sam... the guy they sent out didn't have a clue but had an air compressor so did the same thing  hit it with 150 let it out and did it again  after that no problems  so far  im still in mich and would like it fix this before heading home to NC...this air dryer  is it the filter I need to change or the whole air dryer???   thanks for any info someone might have

Offline Brett Wolfe

• Global Moderator
« Reply #4 on: August 03, 2018, 02:21:15 PM »
With your symptoms, my strong recommendation is to replace the whole dryer (which includes new valves and heater as well as filters).

Best value is a factory reman (i.e. the factory that made it, not some knockoff or reman by "Bubba".

Air dryers are too important to your suspension and brake system to take a chance on.

Offline David.e.atherton

• Global Moderator
« Reply #5 on: August 04, 2018, 06:18:50 AM »
Good morning, my suggestion as Brett posted replace the complete air dryer. The
Reason is very easy for you to correct your problem and bring air system up to date with 2018.
Yes you can possible get parts for your old air dryer but you again may not. The time it takes to take apart and start looking for parts you can have a new air dryer already installed. This
Would be the most cost effective direction I would suggest going.
ask Dave. Dave Atherton Retired Cat Mechanic

Offline ontheroadagain

« Reply #6 on: August 31, 2018, 04:06:10 PM »
Lost air for the throttle one more time on my trip home  son came up and u tubed a video of taking apart the air dryer purge valve  found a piece of plastic in there took it out and its fine.. my question now is where did that piece of plastic come from??  maybe the air compressor   or could it be a part of the air dryer???  thanks in advance for your help.

Offline David.e.atherton

• Global Moderator
« Reply #7 on: August 31, 2018, 07:54:18 PM »
Hi, the year and  air dryer age it is cheaper to put on a new air dryer then pu on. Air Dryer
Unloaded kit many times is hard to get. The plastic in question what does it look like ?
That would give some idea location of something in system failing.
Dave Atherton Retired Cat Mechanic

Offline ontheroadagain

« Reply #8 on: September 09, 2018, 09:02:55 PM »
Plastic was about 3/8ths to 1/2 in  slight curve dark color  does that help??

Offline David.e.atherton

• Global Moderator
« Reply #9 on: September 09, 2018, 10:16:32 PM »
ontheroadagain, if you install new air dryer which I would suggest your line from air compressor
To your old air dryer can be reuses again. Disregard the plastic found and reuse your present air lines and if need be add on a little plastic tube is old lines are to short.

Ask question about speed ( that is kind of hard with different tire size ) but would run around
55 /60 mph or around 1400 rpm should get around 60 mph. Top rpm 2600
Ask Dave, Dave Atherton Retired Cat Mechanic