Author Topic: Kwikee steps  (Read 671 times)

Offline Captpar

Kwikee steps
« on: September 09, 2018, 02:07:57 PM »
Last month steps stopped working,ordered new motor and installed,still not working,ordered new controller and that did the trick. Tested old motor and it powered right up so I put it aside as a spare. Today upon arrival at RV park wife opened  door and stepped on steps before they were all the way out. Now steps  only go half in and out. I can pull the out and in to the locked position .
  So this afternoon I got out the old motor (thinking the gears were stripped) and installed it. Same problem half in and out. Gear that motor engages on housing looked good. Can I pull the pin and take out linkage pin and cycle the steps so they realigne themselve? Thanks for any advice.

Offline Tom Bernardi

Re: Kwikee steps
« Reply #1 on: September 10, 2018, 07:39:37 AM »
Captpar,

Sometimes I have a slide that stops halfway. Newmar customer service recommended that I "reboot" the coach.  Unplug from power and flip the "salesman" disconnect switch for 1 minute at least. Then reconnect power and turn switch on. This has worked every time for me.  My wife used to do that to me and make the Kwikee steps stick too, but never permanently. I carry a spare motor and gear assembly and controller assembly too!

Good luck, hope this helps,

Tom
Tom
2017 Newmar Dutch Star 4054 / Freightliner 450HP Cummins ISL / Blue Ox Avail / '17 Jeep Wrangler Sahara / Brake Buddy /
Silverleaf VMSpc w/Pressure Pro TPMS

Offline Captpar

« Reply #2 on: September 10, 2018, 03:22:00 PM »
Thanks will give it a try.

Offline Captpar

« Reply #3 on: September 18, 2018, 10:03:04 AM »
Had to buy new gear assembly and install all works good now.

Offline Lotos-rggp

« Reply #4 on: September 19, 2018, 07:03:42 PM »
Several years ago my kwikee steps jammed out just before we were to leave on a trip. Doing a web search I found this is a common problem that most have fixed with a new Taurus motor, which I did. I didn't think it fit great but I did get us on the road. Worked fine for a while, until it didn't. Fortunately I still had the original motor and found a blog posting by Chris Bryant. Here is the address, but at this time the link is broken, but credit where credit is due:

http://rx4rv.com/kwikee-repair-part-2/  broken blog

If your Kwikee steps simply get jammed, and you are getting power to them (you can hear the box click when you open or close the door, and the under step light is going on and off), quite often it is just these small plastic parts that are bad- not the whole motor. The symptoms of failure for these parts are that the step will get stuck in the extended or retracted position, yet the step is still getting power. As the plugs become obround in use they create a bind.

Dorman  74410 Window regulator gear plugs, available at most parts stores or Amazon for less than $10.00.

Basically take the motor free from gear drive, remove cover plate from motor and replace these 3 parts. Put the motor and gear drive back together.
Hope this helps someone.

1997 Safari Sahara 3550
300 CAT

« Last Edit: October 02, 2018, 08:13:34 PM by Lotos-rggp »

Offline David.e.atherton

• Global Moderator
« Reply #5 on: September 19, 2018, 09:14:58 PM »
Lotosrggp, had the same problem over the years and here is what I done after three new reman
Shown. I Rewired the electrical part of motor and run the steps manual and no problems.. what
you may think and hear is what has problem.. Ask Dave, Dave Atherton Retired Cat Mechanic.

Offline Captpar

« Reply #6 on: September 20, 2018, 06:18:00 AM »
Good info,now wish I didn’t toss the old gear assembly after I got the new one.could of put the plugs in and  had a spare.

Offline ziggyh

« Reply #7 on: September 20, 2018, 12:00:36 PM »
I've used a window motor for a driver side rear window for a 94 Ford Taurus and was a bolt on fix...  That may also depend on the version of steps you have.
ZiggyH

2007 Revolution LE
C9

Offline David.e.atherton

• Global Moderator
« Reply #8 on: September 20, 2018, 08:57:01 PM »
ZiggyH, great idea that little assembly is very pricey and is a real pain on a trip when steps
do not work. Thank for the information Dave

Offline Lotos-rggp

« Reply #9 on: September 22, 2018, 07:59:32 PM »
Dave and all.
I had replaced the original motor with a Taurus motor, and that worked for a few years. When it quit while traveling I thought it was because the Taurus motor wasn't a perfect fit, but it still worked just as the original motor(that I had kept because it still seemed to function, just didn't work the steps). I found Chris's solution and put it back together as stated.
TomS

Offline David.e.atherton

• Global Moderator
« Reply #10 on: September 22, 2018, 08:21:56 PM »
Lotosrggp, what I have done to my step problem and is very pricey after 3 times ( entry
step failed on trip ). I had a RV. Tech this last time suggested to myself to remove the auto
mode and operate the steps manual with a rocker switch by door entry inside and easy to
reach and operate. The steps have had no problems since taken advice from the RV tech.
In closing never have any more problems since I just operate in manual. Very easy repair
Nd trouble free. Ask Dave, Dave Atherton Retired Cat Mechanic