Author Topic: Some help please  (Read 401 times)

Offline JerryK

Some help please
« on: September 29, 2018, 04:08:49 PM »
 I’m currently in Ripley West Virginia working a job.  One day during a heavy rain I brought in my bedroom slide.  Somehow the motor on my hydraulic system shorted out. Then my Jack’s lift up on their own went  into storage position, so I  attempted to reset them nothing. The slides won’t work either. I checked all the fuses and all good there. I assumed the motor had burned out so I was checking the wiring no juice. I tried jumping the solenoid relay using a screw driver zero power. I then decided to start the coach and try again, the engine started flawlessly ran about two minutes and died and now it won’t start either. There are no RV Techs within 75 miles and they aren’t willing to travel. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.
« Last Edit: September 29, 2018, 06:03:47 PM by JerryK »
2005 Winnebago Journey 39K, C7 350HP
07 Dodge Laramie TOAD

Offline David.e.atherton

• Global Moderator
Re: Some help please
« Reply #1 on: September 29, 2018, 08:34:20 PM »
Jerryk, hi welcome to Diesel Club Forum. What things sound like loss of power to the engine ECM. Few questions that will help in addressing your problem. Can you give me your engine
Serial number ( this is very important). What I need additional information on your starting
problem. You indicated engine ran for short period of time than stopped. When your trying
to restart did engine turn over but not start, or did the starter just click and nothing happened,
last nothing happened when you turned the key switch on. I can help you through your
problem but need additional information for troubleshooting. Ask Dave, Dave Atherton Retired Cat Mechanic

Offline JerryK

« Reply #2 on: September 30, 2018, 05:15:08 AM »
Thanks for the reply, the engine turns over, second where would I find the engine serial number?
« Last Edit: September 30, 2018, 05:57:36 AM by Brett Wolfe »
07 Dodge Laramie TOAD

Offline David.e.atherton

• Global Moderator
« Reply #3 on: September 30, 2018, 05:58:00 AM »
Jerryk good morning,  first of all the Diesel Club is set up for everyone asking questions and
team members that spend countless hours helping answering questions. For you if you
are a paid member we have a technical area that is setup for members that our team
technical people can help you through your problem at a different level and the cost of
your dues will Save you more than the cost of your yearly dues. Yes a pass word is required
each and every time you post. Last our technical team nobody does not receives any money for
our services . Thank you and I want to help you.   

Ok , let’s answer first question Cat C-7 serial number front right side of engine, second location
On top of valve cover, third stamped on engine block top right of the engine ECM. Again
I can assist and work with you through this problem but be gentle because going to ask
several more questions ahead. Will tell you your problem is not a major problem but with
Electronic Engine there are several areas we need to look at .
Ask Dave, Dave Atherton Retired Cat Mechanic

Offline JerryK

« Reply #4 on: September 30, 2018, 06:21:57 AM »
It wasn’t my intent to be snippy, I certainly appreciate the help. Also I don’t mind signing up to be a paying member, I actually attempted that at one point and some technical problem kept coming up so I gave up. The password isn’t what I was referring to. I guess the site is protecting itself against spam. I’ll go find the number on the block. Your patience IS appreciated and I will reciprocate. A soft answer always turns away wrath.
07 Dodge Laramie TOAD

Offline Ken Carpenter

• Ken Carpenter, Jr.
  • Administrator
  • "Courage is a kind of salvaton". Plato
« Reply #5 on: September 30, 2018, 06:46:07 AM »
Correction. There is no charge to become a registered member of this forum. And, all discussion boards are available to the public. The forum is sponsored by the Diesel RV Club which does require membership.
Jeep Grand Cherokee, Airforce One
Diesel RV Club Officer & Board Member

Offline JerryK

« Reply #6 on: September 30, 2018, 07:07:09 AM »
That’s the club I attempted to join. Moving on, is there any other way to access the serial number on the engine without going under the bed. My slide is all the way in. I understand the procedure for manually operating the slide but would really rather not go there.
07 Dodge Laramie TOAD

Offline Ken Carpenter

• Ken Carpenter, Jr.
  • Administrator
  • "Courage is a kind of salvaton". Plato
« Reply #7 on: September 30, 2018, 08:18:55 AM »
http://forum.dieselrvclub.org/MGalleryItem.php?id=207 Link shows serial number location and i think it will not be visible by lifting the step in front of the closet. If not , then raising the bed would be necessary.
Jeep Grand Cherokee, Airforce One
Diesel RV Club Officer & Board Member

Offline JerryK

« Reply #8 on: September 30, 2018, 08:42:14 AM »
wont let me open . Says I must be connected to the server. I’m logged in I have no idea why I have trouble with this site. “Sorry you are not allowed to view this file. Make sure you are connected to the server”. And then there is this: The following error or errors occurred while posting this message:
You did not answer the verification questions correctly. I typed YXMXXE diesel.
 I had to copy and paste the above message and do another reply to post this. 4 times now going for 5
07 Dodge Laramie TOAD

Offline David.e.atherton

• Global Moderator
« Reply #9 on: September 30, 2018, 09:57:37 PM »
Jerryk, your engine turning over but will not start you have lost power to the engine ECM.
Look down in the bay on left driver side by rear wheel, looking in bay straight ahead you
will see two black plastic boxes side by side. Think the box on left, removing plastic cover
will see relays  that are marked and look ECM power. ( think relay we want is to the left side
second row down ) you can jumper wire the relay socket and power up ECM than to stop
engine remove jumper wire. Note: this Is a temp repair to get you going but you can find
in most cases connection in rely socket Ask Dave, Dave Atherton Retired Cat Mechanic