Author Topic: Broke down in Caldwell, KS with 9 dogs!  (Read 455 times)

Offline Hollybeanbag

Broke down in Caldwell, KS with 9 dogs!
« on: October 08, 2018, 11:16:51 AM »
New to us 1998 Beaver Tourmaline Marquis Cat 425 . Engine just quit while idling, making metal sounds. Needed to replace the chassis batteries so we did..., have power but the engine won’t turn over.
Anyone in the area that can assist? Suggestions?

Thank you in advance,
Kelly Ray and Leesa Sandell

Offline TimG

• Administrator
Re: Broke down in Caldwell, KS with 9 dogs!
« Reply #1 on: October 08, 2018, 12:44:14 PM »
Foley Caterpillar, Wichita, (316) 943-4211
Tim Gerrity
'02 Country Coach Magna 40', Caterpillar C-12
'11 Ford Escape dinghy

Offline WallyNM

• Global Moderator
« Reply #2 on: October 08, 2018, 12:48:41 PM »
Suggest you report it to “Hey Dave” as he may able to help.

Offline David.e.atherton

• Global Moderator
« Reply #3 on: October 08, 2018, 01:30:33 PM »
Hi welcome , MAYBE I can help you but you have a Caterpillar C-9S engine and your
Problem will be located within the regeneration system and many questions pertaining
what is going on is something diagnostic read out will only be able lead us into the problem
area. You have Foley Caterpillar that bought out Martin caterpillar so they have several service shops close by you. More than likely problem is within what’s called the ARD head that
allows the regeneration to cycle. If anything goes on within the regen system your engine will derate and will not allow you to start. Try at all possible to have a Caterpillar Dealer work
on your system and not a truck shop. Once you get a Caterpillar ET readout and print out
on what has taken place and email me copy than I can give direction. One thing Do Not
Sign Anything until we can review what is happening, and tell them want them to talk with your mechanic which is the Diesel Club Form team. Ask Dave, Dave Atherton Retired Cat Mechanic

Offline ziggyh

« Reply #4 on: October 08, 2018, 07:08:12 PM »
Couriouis, what happens when you try and start the engine, does the starter engage or is there a clicking sound or nothing.
ZiggyH

2007 Revolution LE
C9

Offline David.e.atherton

• Global Moderator
« Reply #5 on: October 08, 2018, 07:17:47 PM »
ZiggyH, the regen system is controlled by the engine ECM there motor will turn because
on of several limit sensors will not allow engine to start. It is set up so going around sensor
sensors. The concept reminds me of a oil furnace oil burner. The temp get very hot.
Before anything can happen will need the Cat ET readout . Ask Dave, Dave Atherton
Retired Cat Mechanic

Offline David.e.atherton

• Global Moderator
« Reply #6 on: October 09, 2018, 10:21:24 AM »
Hi, think a confused person answered your post with incorrect engine. Can you give me
a better idea what model engine do you have. I think you have a Cat C-12 425 and not
a C-9S 425. There is a big difference in the two engines and we can assist you if you have
Cat C-12 425. This was called to my attention . Ask Dave, Dave Atherton Retired Cat Mechanic

Offline ziggyh

« Reply #7 on: October 10, 2018, 04:17:43 AM »
very familiar how Regen works, it's the "making metal sounds" comment in the original post that got me curious
ZiggyH

2007 Revolution LE
C9

Offline Brett Wolfe

• Global Moderator
« Reply #8 on: October 10, 2018, 05:12:28 AM »
Without an engine serial number (or at least some info on what engine it is) we are shooting in the dark.

Since it is a 1998 model, discussions of regen are likely not relevant.