Author Topic: fixed to roll out generator  (Read 313 times)

Offline Charlie/Susie

• Viet Nam vet 1968-1972
fixed to roll out generator
« on: October 19, 2018, 04:44:24 PM »
Hello again, does anyone know if you can convert a fixed front generator to a roll out generator? Is there a kit? Would make servicing it a lot easier. Have a 2005 Bounder, QD7.5 genset.  Thanks, Charlie.

Offline ziggyh

Re: fixed to roll out generator
« Reply #1 on: October 19, 2018, 05:26:08 PM »
Charlie, its a great idea, wish mine would slide out to, but I think there would be issues with the cutting and finishing of the front cap if that's where your genset would slide out.
ZiggyH

2007 Revolution LE
C9

Offline Charlie/Susie

• Viet Nam vet 1968-1972
« Reply #2 on: October 20, 2018, 04:37:51 PM »
hey Ziggyh,  good to hear that someone else thinks like me. The Bounder we have has a removable panel in the front cap that looks like it would be for the genset but it may have been an optional slide. I will keep looking and call Fleetwood and Freightliner to see if it is possible. Would also need to get extra long cables. Will post what I find out , wish me luck. Charlie.

Offline ziggyh

« Reply #3 on: October 20, 2018, 09:17:22 PM »
Good luck, beside the front cap issue, I had a lot of cables and hoses along the frame rails that would have to be dealt with.
Beside the battery cables the AC Lines and fuel lines would also need to be able to flex out. There may not be enough room in the frame rails to put the slides but I'm sure a tray could be made to attach from the bottom of the rails to accommodate the slide out tray, think the biggest problem is the front cap unless you are good at working with fibreglass or know a good body man.  The cost might be a bit steep depending how handy you are.

The other thought is the genset isn't to bad to service for, oil, air filter and antifreeze flush the only time it turns into a bit of a labour job and a pain is changing the water pump belt or other components when they fail and that hopefully doesn't happen too often, so depending on cost it is questionable doing the mod for me.
But yes it would be nice for when shit happens.
ZiggyH

2007 Revolution LE
C9

Offline ziggyh

« Reply #4 on: October 20, 2018, 09:35:15 PM »
A slide out battery tray also always catches my eye.
ZiggyH

2007 Revolution LE
C9