Author Topic: Preventing HEUI Pump Failure  (Read 2622 times)

Offline Gadget Man

Preventing HEUI Pump Failure
« on: November 13, 2018, 06:01:44 PM »
Like many informed owners of older CAT C7 engines, I’m aware of issues with the engine’s HEUI pump system. I’ve been told that providing clean filtered oil to the engine should help to minimize a HEUI pump failure. With this in mind, I change my oil and filter every year or 5k miles.

I read an interesting post in an RV forum, where a CAT C7 owner claims that running CAT brand motor oil minimizes the risk of HEUI failures even more. He went on to say that CAT had the oil engineered by Mobil Oil, to help reduce HEUI pump failures. He believes they did this by adding extra zinc to the oil blend.

I don’t believe everything I read in forums. Brett has never steered me wrong. Is there any way to confirm or debunk the above claim?
2005 Fleetwood Providence 39J
Cat C7 350, MP-8 Tuner
Freightliner XC Chassis

Offline David.e.atherton

• Global Moderator
Re: Preventing HEUI Pump Failure
« Reply #1 on: November 14, 2018, 05:36:48 AM »
Gadget man ,engine oil and Caterpillar Heui system. To answer your question the biggest
Problem with the Caterpillar Heui System is extending service periods of oil and filters
that build up of oil sludge within the engine. Want to maintain trouble free service would
suggest service at 7,500 miles. Most of the problems lay within the Heui high pressure
Engine oil starting at the injection Actuation pressure regulator, injection Actuation pressure
Sensor and the injectors Actuation themselves. The main reason breakdown of engine oils
from extended service periods . As far as what type of engine to use is everyone choosing
Of there own and cost they want to spend. Would get with Brett Wolfe where he can expand
on oils, filters etc with his maintenance information. This is a two fold question and Dave
has explained the engine results in operation and again Brett can expand on the maintenance.
Ask Dave, Dave Atherton Retired Cat Mechanic

Offline Brett Wolfe

• Global Moderator
« Reply #2 on: November 14, 2018, 06:21:39 AM »
Sorry, don't have any info on advantage of Caterpillar oil vs either Shell Rotella T or Delo 400. Have not heard of bad experiences with any of them if changed as they should be.

As Dave pointed out, annual/5-7,500 mile oil changes are very important.

Offline Gadget Man

« Reply #3 on: November 14, 2018, 01:33:14 PM »
Ok thanks guys. Curious if there's any truth re: the zinc claim.

Thanks for the info.
2005 Fleetwood Providence 39J
Cat C7 350, MP-8 Tuner
Freightliner XC Chassis

Offline doorguy

« Reply #4 on: November 28, 2018, 05:44:46 PM »
I had read  a few months ago about the CAT retrofit auxiliary filtration system for the HEUI pump.  Does anyone know about this and does it seem like a fix to prolong the pump?  Just curious.
Barry & Sue Miller, 04 Journey39K, C7, 330HP

Offline David.e.atherton

• Global Moderator
« Reply #5 on: November 28, 2018, 06:09:54 PM »
Door guy, in answering your question about update to Caterpillar heui system with
screen to the Heui pump.  To answer your question my Caterpillar technical information is
Current through 2018 and there is nothing to back up that question. This past year there has
been several upgrades to Caterpillar engines or use the Word ( Bullet proof your Caterpillar
Engine ) on the Web. The only thing what is wrong this information is not posted in  Caterpillar
technical system.  Ask Dave, Dave Atherton Retired Cat Mechanic

Offline ziggyh

« Reply #6 on: December 03, 2018, 09:36:47 AM »
Dave, I think some people are thinking of or retrofitting their c7's with the hose, filter, and elbow. Cat numbers 503-7469, 503-7470, 439-1889 from the 20r-6642 Kit hopping to prevent pump failures. 
ZiggyH

2007 Revolution LE
C9

Offline David.e.atherton

• Global Moderator
« Reply #7 on: December 03, 2018, 07:13:00 PM »
ZiggyH, Information of problems with Cat C-7 is something that is not coming within
Caterpillar SiS Service system. But there are several video on U-tube about problems
with Caterpillar engines and bullet proof a cat engine from a outside source but not
Within Caterpillar. The C-7 / C-9  are not having problems with the Heui pumps on there
engines. Understanding how the Heui pump operates,  the Heui high pressure pump does
fail that requires replacement but failure of injection Actuation pressure regulator that is
located on top of the Heui pump in same housing which is non-serviceable and requires
exchange for an  reman Heui Pump. ( last Note: my Cat SIS service information system
is current update 2018 ) Ask Dave, Dave Atherton Retired Cat Mechanic

Offline David.e.atherton

• Global Moderator
« Reply #8 on: December 04, 2018, 07:59:47 AM »
Gentleman, reguarding Heui pump failure, information coming off U-Tube video is again
One mans opinion that all the information cannot be backed up with factual information
that lays claim starts at engine oil cooler. At indicated earlier bullet proof your Caterpillar
engine is an outside source by people giving the impression of problems within Caterpillar
engine operation that in not happening. I need not say any more. Want your Caterpillar
to run and stay running leave it alone and if repairs or service is needed go direct to a
Caterpillar. There are many forums today that dealing with technical information that does
not pertain or can be backed up on technical Caterpillar engine problems.
Ask Dave, Dave Atherton Retired Cat Mechanic