Author Topic: Power switching to charge house batteries?  (Read 755 times)

Offline zagracing

Power switching to charge house batteries?
« on: November 27, 2018, 02:29:21 PM »
Hey Folks,

About 6 months ago, I purchased a 2003 Freightliner Columbia ShowHauler. Great rig with the MBE4000 engine
I got a great deal on it due to it needing a bunch of work including the fact that the diesel generator it used to have is now gone. Bummer but I will get it replaced eventually with either another diesel or a LPG generator.

One of the thing I noticed when compared to my Damon A-Class (I still have that one too) was that when the rig runs on the Damon, it is busy charging the house batteries. I installed a meter on the house DC line so I can see it up over 14volts when the rig is running. The ShowHauler on the other hand does not charge the house batteries and upon investigation, I discovered a Sure Power switch installed. https://www.waytekwire.com/item/80003/Sure-Power-1315-200-Battery/?gclid=Cj0KCQiA8_PfBRC3ARIsAOzJ2urmRRffHIs7okYXPcufMan9ZJGAHRCkFoUC0wr-j8QEP0Ry_g172SoaAilPEALw_wcB

Not quite sure where the other lead goes yet and it may not be terminated at all.

My question is whether or not it is ok to send that lead to the house batteries if it isn't there already. I might have a bad switch or maybe there is something I need to engage to allow it to work. I will look into this. My question is a general concern around the trucks alternator ability to charge up all of those batteries. It does have 4 large 12volt batteries for the truck anyway so I would suspect I am safe?

Bernie 

Offline Brett Wolfe

• Global Moderator
Re: Power switching to charge house batteries?
« Reply #1 on: November 28, 2018, 05:34:03 AM »
Bernie,

If it and the wiring is functioning properly, it should allow alternator (or charger-- it is bi-directional) to charge both battery banks.

Also, can serve as boost/combine switch for starting.

So, pull out your VOM and see what has failed, been disconnected, etc.

Offline pfhays

« Reply #2 on: November 28, 2018, 03:26:15 PM »
On most motor homes the two sets of batteries are connected together with a 200 amp or larger solenoid.  The solenoid is activated by a switch in the cockpit or by an oil pressure switch.  My solenoid failed and until I could get it fixed I jumped the positive posts together on the two sets of batteries.  I removed the jumper when parked.

Offline zagracing

« Reply #3 on: November 29, 2018, 08:16:20 AM »
Thanks Guys,

I believe there must be a switch for this somewhere.
I will trace the second positive lead and see where it is ending up to be sure.