Author Topic: steering stabilizer  (Read 655 times)

Offline Charlie/Susie

• Viet Nam vet 1968-1972
steering stabilizer
« on: January 07, 2019, 07:44:35 PM »
Does anyone have experience with steering stabilizers, do they really offer better handling? I have a 2005 Fleetwood bounder 38n, freightliner xc chassis with 85k miles. Tends to track, wander and getting passed by a semi is a real treat. Any info is always appreciated. Charlie
Charlie and Susie
2005 Fleetwood Bounder 38N 5.9 cummins
2014 Corolla toad

Offline ziggyh

Re: steering stabilizer
« Reply #1 on: January 08, 2019, 04:48:40 AM »
Charlie
Have added safe-t-streer to several motorhome including my own  it was more for the interest of safety and tire blowouts  A stabilizer may not always help  eliminate the way how the Motorhome reacts when being passed by a Semi, different chassis's suspensions have different handling issues. On the units I have installed the sate-t-steer i would say there was an improvement with steering control.

On a previous motorhome which was a workhorse chassis the biggest improvement with handling when being passed by semi's came from the addition of a track rod added to the rear suspension. this option may not be applicable to your chassis 

Do you find that you have a lot of play in your steering wheel?, if so you may have some play in a front end componet, i believe the xc chassis's have a bellcrank which can be upgraded with an aftermarket product to help eliminate some play issues. Have tire pressures been set to tire recommend inflation charts 

Handelling issues can stem from a variety of issues from tires, alignment, and worn parts and even inherent to some suspension designs 

ZiggyH

2007 Revolution LE
C9

Offline antiqueclockservice

« Reply #2 on: January 08, 2019, 05:37:54 AM »
I found on my Alfa motor home that the addition of Air Tabs at the rear reduced the "tail wag" of the motor home significantly.  Side benefit was the Toad stays much cleaner due to change in air flow off the rear of the motor home.  What Air Tabs do is move the center of pressure closer to the polar moment of inertia.
Best,
Phil

Offline Charlie/Susie

• Viet Nam vet 1968-1972
« Reply #3 on: January 08, 2019, 02:58:50 PM »
Thank you Ziggy and Phil, you both hit on the problems I'm having. First, I reviewed my last PM paper work and found out they inflated all the tires to 120 psi. causing the rough ride and tracking. Second, I thought that a large heavy vehicle would have more slack in the steering but now I will have that checked out. Third, tail wag was not that big of a problem but I will be towing using a tow dolly (cant flat tow) and can see where air tabs can help with air disturbance and buffeting. Thanks again, nothing like getting info from people that have been there done that.
Charlie and Susie
2005 Fleetwood Bounder 38N 5.9 cummins
2014 Corolla toad