Author Topic: Interesting find for HEUI's  (Read 1449 times)

Offline 3126E Guy

Interesting find for HEUI's
« on: April 20, 2019, 06:33:57 PM »
Hi Folks,
For whats its worth a friend of mine sent me this link and sounds like a real solution. Thought I would share. A bit pricey but sounds like good insurance against big $ repairs. https://ifskit.com/
Jim

Offline antiqueclockservice

Re: Interesting find for HEUI's
« Reply #1 on: April 21, 2019, 08:09:28 PM »
Hi 3126E Guy,

The longevity of the HEUI is regular oil changes....

best,
Phil
Best,
Phil

Offline seeing the sights

« Reply #2 on: April 22, 2019, 01:31:57 PM »
I may buy that kit,  Joe

Offline ziggyh

« Reply #3 on: April 23, 2019, 07:08:44 AM »
I think the kit may save some injectors and help prevent metal fragments contaminating the oil and further engine wear, but I don't think it will prevent the HEUI pump from failing.

I have replaced my pump twice because of the drive end bearing failing.  I change my oil every fall and there is never more than 5 to 6 thousand miles on it, I have always used cat oil and filters.  When I replaced the pump the head was flushed as per cat instruction as well washing down the top of the head, removing oil pan and clean out crank case and pan, I also do an oil analysis every oil change.The first replacement pump had no more than 15,000 miles on it.

The kit is expensive but one remand injector is $ 900 after core credit and that alone has got my interest.

ZiggyH

2007 Revolution LE
C9

Offline 3126E Guy

« Reply #4 on: April 23, 2019, 04:06:09 PM »
I called this guy and spoke to him for 1/2 hour or so after reading all the articles on the site and the filter system offered. He's a smart cookie. I asked him for references of current customers. He directed me to IRV2 site under Cat engines. Everything I read was from customers and was impressed with everyone's comments. I too change my oil every 5-8K however that doesn't safeguard the past issues I have read about front bearings and the pistons failing regardless of oil change frequency. For me, I'll pay the 980.00 upfront to save me thousands later from trashed injectors. I can replace a HEUI pump on the side of the road. I cant replace injectors and flush the oil rail on the side of the road.

I asked him point blank whats the procedure if the HEUI detonates with this filter system. He stated that the HEUI needs replaced, obviously, the high pressure element and hose from the HEUI to the filter housing. The element and hose comes in a kit they offer for $154.00. Far less than injectors and labor to flush the head. Plus the hook cost to a garage.

I also asked about it protecting the HEUI. He said it does nothing for the HEUI pump itself and that the engine filter is responsible for that. Their filter system is designed to protect what he called "Post HEUI" components only. He explained the engine oil supply to the HEUI is low pressure, 100 psi or less, and their system is capable of 5,850 psi.

Cheap insurance in my world.

Have a great day,
Jim

Offline ziggyh

« Reply #5 on: April 23, 2019, 06:18:03 PM »
Jim Thanks for the info.  The post filter is a far better idea than pre filtering and after replacing several pumps and some injectors had that kit been installed on the engine it would have already payed for its self.
ZiggyH

2007 Revolution LE
C9

Offline 3126E Guy

« Reply #6 on: April 28, 2019, 08:21:51 AM »
ZIGGYH,
I got a hold of the guy to order. Said he was on a trip in Florida and would be back by May 10th. They have an order form on the website to fill out and send to them. I ordered mine already. He has some really good articles on several things about our engines and maintenance.
Thanks,
Jim

Offline David.e.atherton

• Global Moderator
« Reply #7 on: April 28, 2019, 09:18:29 PM »
Gentleman, yes everything sounds good from outside source other than Caterpillar, however
the builder of the engine ( Caterpillar ) has a different take on this subject. Think opinions are
each own choice but to alter or add aftermarket product to engine is something myself would
not be my endorsement until Caterpillar issues service bulletin on change to engine.This past
year 2018 it seems like several forums and UTube have came up with several problems with
Caterpillar engines, what is called bullet proofing your cat engine that cannot be backed with any factual technical information from Caterpillar. Ask Dave, Dave Atherton Retired Cat mechanic

Offline 3126E Guy

« Reply #8 on: April 30, 2019, 06:41:04 AM »
Hi Dave,
This may not be endorsed by Cat but to me sounds like a very positive answer to the expensive repairs of injectors and head flushing when a HEUI does explode. I have read many threads about the repair costs being in excess of $7,000.00. Most owners accept, may not like, the cost of a HEUI pump alone but the major repair costs of injectors and labor is shocking. I'll take my chances with this product and in hopes it saves me $$$$ somewhere down the road. As you stated, MANY bits of information have come to life over this issue. That being said, maybe this will eliminate a large cost associated with this issue. I and my son own early 2002 and 2004 3126 engines. IF Cat had a resolve to this then why haven't they addressed it by now? I think the engine is a GREAT engine. That is why I am willing to spend the money on this aftermarket product to further protect it with or without Cat's endorsement.
Thanks,
Jim

Offline David.e.atherton

• Global Moderator
« Reply #9 on: April 30, 2019, 04:38:00 PM »
3126Guy, thanks for the come back on your thoughts with install of aftermarket attachment
to your Caterpillar Engine. As I stated I cannot provide  endorsement on the problem within
the caterpillar Heui system unless Caterpillar themself put out technical service bulletin on
the problem which claim to be a issue. There is nothing within the technical or update on
The Heui System other than the first model prefix 1WM 3126 engine that were isolated
and corrected. Again it is everyone’s personal choice how he or she does with there engine.
Myself being a Caterpillar technican 40 plus years and very well educated on Caterpillar
Heui systems.cannot come up any factual technical information from the builder of your engine.
My view is very clear giving technical information on this forum, if information cannot be
backed by Caterpillar that problem exist than it did not happen as far as technical advice
This is where Dave stands on this. Ask Dave, Dave Atherton Retired Cat Mechanic

Offline 3126E Guy

« Reply #10 on: May 01, 2019, 07:38:15 PM »
Hi Dave,
Yes I understand you nor Cat endorse this. I did however look into the newer injectors that have and what they described as a screen built into the injector to aid in filtering debris from entering the injector and was leaning that direction until they explained that it is not a serviceable screen and if ever plugged it would be best to just buy a new injector. Do you know if that is accurate? They also stated if the HEUI does explode that the head would still need flushed even with the newer injectors with screens.
As always, your expert advice is appreciated.
Thanks,
Jim

Offline ziggyh

« Reply #11 on: May 01, 2019, 08:18:34 PM »
When I had my last Heui pump fail there was a lot of metal on the top of my head. I had previously replaced several injectors from a previous pump failure. If the injectors had screens in them the metal must have passed through them. I don’t recall seeing any screens on the inlets of the injectors and will look back at my pictures to be sure. If they are internal then it would be interesting to know what size of particles they trap.

ZiggyH

2007 Revolution LE
C9

Offline 3126E Guy

« Reply #12 on: May 10, 2019, 02:59:03 PM »
Hi Ziggy,
FYI. Received my kit today. WOW, nice piece of equipment. Built like a tank. Came with a very nice installation manual and installation time was just under two hours. Test drove and all is good. I'm feeling better with some "insurance" my injectors and head oil passages are protected.
Jim