Author Topic: I want to check my charge on my Dash AC  (Read 130 times)

Offline Als4life

I want to check my charge on my Dash AC
« on: May 14, 2019, 03:30:11 AM »
Hi, Newbie here.  I have done HVAC since 85, but never done work on a motorhome.  1st Diesel pusher I have owned. Love it so far.  Dash  Ac unit not cooling. I know it is in the back.  But so far and only been looking since we got to the mountains.  When I open the back I can see where to check oil, transmission, other fluids.  I just didn't see the ports to place a set of gauges to check ac unit.  We rode all the way 4 hrs to the campsite with generator running to  help keep it cool inside.  But hit a nasty bump in the road and did  not realize it or something cut off my Generator.  I stopped at the rest stop to see if everything was ok with the Gen.  All seemed good.  cranked it back up and went on.  But I don't know how long my roof units tried to run off house batts before I noticed gen was off and it was getting warm in the house.  I look forward to using my RV for many more trips and glad I found this site.    2004 National Tropi cal

Offline Brett Wolfe

• Global Moderator
Re: I want to check my charge on my Dash AC
« Reply #1 on: May 14, 2019, 05:25:23 AM »
Als4life,

Welcome to the Diesel RV Club.

First, your coach was not wired from the factory for the roof A/C to run off the inverter/batteries.  Yes, a previous owner could have modified it.  Easy to verify.  With generator off and shore power disconnected, try to start the roof A/C.

Your motorhome air is really very similar to that of an automobile-- R134A.  As to where hi and low ports are and where the condenser is located is up to your chassis maker.  So, check with them.

You don't mention what generator you have, but many have the ability to store diagnostic codes. May help you determine what shut it off. Just use any search engine for "diagnostic codes for (your generator make and model).

Offline antiqueclockservice

Re: I want to check my charge on my Dash AC
« Reply #2 on: May 14, 2019, 06:40:23 AM »
Hi Als4life,

You might check up front on either side of the evaporator box..many times this is where the high and low side ports are...

best,
Phil
Best,
Phil