Author Topic: Intermittent CK ENG Light and Temp sensor issue  (Read 336 times)

Offline dngmissett

Intermittent CK ENG Light and Temp sensor issue
« on: June 17, 2019, 08:41:38 PM »
3126 CAT 1WM25822
Hi Dave I'm looking for some help.
Experienced a momentary ck engine light on my last trip. Coach sat for 4 months and all was good for first 120 miles then momentary ck engine light and it happened again shortly thereafter two or three times when I stopped or slowed for traffic lights and did not happen for the next 85 miles to my destination. Similar experience coming home and at one point I was traveling at 60mph on the PA Tpke and three or four intermittent CK eng. All temps and gauges were reading normal and I was not towing.  Took it to local CAT dealer and the error codes (168-2)  ECM Battery Power Intermittent. I made them aware that I've had similar issues with identical code a few yrs ago 
that turned out to be exciter wire connection on the alternator came apart and another time it was the white wire that feeds the ECM from the chassis battery bank had a bad connection. CAT had it for a few days and cleaned up some corroded connections and grounds to the engine and changed ECM relay and checked connections on the ECM for corrosion $1,100 but did not find the problem and the code is still flashing. I rechecked the two obvious connections (to me)  that had given me the issue previously and they are solid. I don't know where to go from here and was hoping someone who may have had a similar issue might offer some suggestions as to where to look next ?

Dick Missett
98  Safari Sahara  3126 CAT  1WM25822
VIN  4SLB7AN23W111066
Wyoming, PA  (570) 954-4967 (Cell)

IMG_4928
.JPG
101.2kB

« Last Edit: June 23, 2019, 06:25:53 PM by dngmissett »

Offline David.e.atherton

• Global Moderator
Re: Intermittent CK ENG Light and Temp sensor issue
« Reply #1 on: June 22, 2019, 06:54:48 PM »
Dick, the 168-02 Intermittent Battery Power to the ECM. The check Engine, Warning and
Intake Air Heater Lamps May come on as if the ignition key switch were just turned and engine started. Troubleshooting, proceed with PB-11: ignition key switch and battery supply circuits
Test. There is a service bulletin on troubleshooting your 168-02 code with a 43-02 ignition
key switch. Is the ignition key switch status On with the Ignition Key Switch On and does it
change to Off with the Ignition Key Switch turned Off. Last do you have a lot of keys on the ignition key ring this would also be causing your problem. Ask Dave, Dave Atherton Retired
Cat Mechanic

Offline dngmissett

Re: Intermittent CK ENG Light and Temp sensor issue
« Reply #2 on: June 24, 2019, 01:39:21 PM »
Dave
Yes my ignition status does come on and go off with the key and I do (or did) have numerous keys on the key ring but will no longer and my intention is to change out the  ignition switch in an effort to eliminate issues that may be my be causing the problem. On Thursday I traveled to my current location 180 mile location without incident no lights and all good. After checking into CG I turned key to start it up and No Tachometer and no Volt meter and tried it once or twice more with same result and they did not come ON with the key turn but did come ON about 5 seconds later. Left there yesterday and experienced 12 or 15 CK ENG Lights along with a momentary coach stumble within 35 miles which is where I am now. I did not lose any gauges during these episodes. I currently have a new Solenoid for the electric bay and will be changing that out and the ignition switch as well based on your input. Greatly appreciate it. Dick